Orthopedics Community
to have MRI or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

to have MRI or not?

A week ago, I injured my knee while in my backyard. I was sitting on an object about 12-15 inches off the ground. I leaned to the side to help "push" myself up, but when I stood up, my knee sounded like rice krispies and sharp pain sped through my knee and leg. I tried to get up but could not. I managed to crawl to the house and made it inside to a phone. After getting some ice on it, I was taken to the Er where they did  x-rays. Found nothing, gave me anti-inflammatory and pain pills, told me to use crutches and see my regular Dr. on Monday for a possible MRI.   Couldn't get in on Monday, went on Tuesday and was told to keep up the meds and crutches, stay off that leg as much as possible till next week. He thought it might be a inside bruise and said the MRI would not show that. If I did not feel completely better by Monday, to schedule an MRI. First of all, it is very difficult for me to "stay off" that leg and secondly, WILL an MRI actually show anything? I am not sure if I need one or not or if it will eventually heal. I am 67 years old and have never have much problems with my knees before other than the last couple years with the little popping sounds and some morning stiffness in both knees. What would you suggest?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!
We would suggest you to go to an Orthopedician expert and for an MRI. MRI shows all soft tissue problems like ligaments, tendons, muscles  etc.
For the morning stiffness the Orthopaedician would check your X-ray and send you for Rheumatoid factor estimation.
With increasing age bone healing and injuries are very slow to heal and we advise you to not fall down and take care of yourself in the future.
Take care!
Thank you for your quick reply. Since I don't live in a highly populated area, I most likely will need to have the MRI done here. I don't know who will read the MRI, but I know it takes a day to get the results, so maybe it goes elsewhere.
I will most definitely keep in mind my age even though I don't like it!! I have not had too many old age reasons to be careful, but like I told my son in the ER, today is the first day of my "old"..........
Thank you! I will have that MRI next week!.
Tori
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Keep us updated about the MRI, Any good radiologist or Orthopedician will explain you the results of the MRI after interpreting it.
Till then  take rest, place ice packs on the knee intermittently and also can take some pain killers intermittently.
We completely respect you and felt good to hear that you did not have any specific problem till now so advised you to be careful about falling down in the future.
With full respect we did not mean anything else and it is for your safety.
Take care!
I know you meant nothing, it is just me starting to feel old.....and I am having a terrible time accepting that I am.
I appreciate your advice and quick response!
Thank you.
I had the MRI and it is rather vague.  If I were to give you some of the report wording, could you tell me more of what it means? My regular Dr suggested I seek the advice of an orthopedic surgeon and I have made an appointment, but I would rather not have surgery if I can avoid it. If I am careful and continue to care for my knee, perhaps I won't need to.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!
I would tell you to listen what the orthopedic surgeon suggests and in some ligament tears you need to go for surgery.
You can tell us what is in the report in a short summary or the conclusion part would be fine.
Finally you can tell the surgeon that you are interested in conservative approach and that surgery is the last option from your side and based on that you will be given all options.
Take care!
here is the gist of the report: (I think)
IMPRESSION:
1. mucoid degenerative change involving posterior horn of medial meniscus with medial extrusion of  of posterior horn. some question on coronal STIR acquisition f possible tear extending to inferior articular surface.-however not corroborated on the images.
2. chondromalacia patella
3. small joint space effusion

I appreciate your suggestion about what I should say to the surgeon. That helps me greatly.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the under the kneecap (patella). Chondromalacia patella is the most common cause of chronic knee pain.

The primary goal for treatment and rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella is to create a straighter pathway for the patella to follow during quadriceps (thigh muscles) contraction. So you can go for physcial therapy.

Initial pain management for you involves avoiding motions which irritate the kneecap. Icing and anti-inflammatory medications (for examples, ibuprofen)

The primary concern is the meniscal tear  for you and ask the surgeon to explain the pros and cons to you and try conservative therapy intially. If you recover from mensical tear and chondromalacia patella then it is fine.

Surgery is an option thou for meniscal tear.

Take care!
Thank you! You have really been helpful.  I have a much better idea of what to expect when I see the surgeon.