Orthopedics Community
top of thumb won't bend

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

top of thumb won't bend

I'm a 26 year old male, a little more than 5 weeks ago I woke up with a strong pain deep in my elbow when I bent it. That pain left in a day and was replaced by a tightness and burning in my forearm when I stretched for something. Not sore to the touch or numb at all. It took about 5 days and that went away. Now the weird part, the day my arm stopped hurting I felt my thumb getting weak. I couldn't light a lighter very well. In the morning I couldn't bend the top joint at all. I have spoken to a doctor outside of his office. He feels like it is a tendon issue, almost like my arm forgot that movement. Upon touching thumb tip to pinky I couldn't stop him breaking my grasp at all. His opinion was at least 2 months to heal without anymore stress. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? It is not sore, or numb anywhere but also doesn't seem to be improving movement. Should I wear a thumb brace? I paint houses for work and discovered just how much I have to bend and force my thumb throughout the day. Thanks for your time here
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If may be a nerve related or a tendon related problem.
You can wear a thumb splint
You need to visit an orthopedician for proper examination and need to do some physiotherapy on a regular basis to relieve your symptoms once your healing starts.

Take care!
hi a couple of years ago my dad was trying to open a wine bootle and by mistake some of the glass of the neck of the bottle cut his ligament in his thumb. Ever since he cannot move his thumb and the wrinkles on the joint of the thumb have disappeared. He doesn't usually go to doctors but if he goes what can they do about it and will it ever be back to normal? My dad says it will need surgery and if possible how much will it cost?
I have the exact same thing described in the original post, down to first noticing it (even before the "funny bone" pain subsided" as the inability to work a lighter. As the pain sent away, the paralysis got worse. Three weeks later, no improvement.

I hope you are still following the thread and can tell me what your outcome was.
Very similar story, earlier elbow/arm,shoulder pain that disappeared, but no known injury and 62 year old female, use computer mouse, keyboard a lot.  No pain in thumb, just doesn't work to bend last distal joint.in right thumb.  Same story, first noticed with trying to use a lighter. First joint seems to work fine.  Just thought it was a curious mystery "fluke"  associated with age, and not a big deal.  But I guess it's been about 5 weeks so wondering how others have fared.