Orthopedics Community
torn collateral ligament in index finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am not sure what happened to my hand unless it was trying to use lopping shears or typing too much. My right hand hurt, then it hurt worse, I reported it to my doctor who was not particularly interested and did not refer me. Because it was hurting worse, I looked at it again lump and the knuckle at the base of my index finger was was about three to four times the size of the other and it was hard and painful to the touch. I again saw my doctor and he said it was probably joint capsule inflamation (inflammation) and a steroid shot would most likely fix it and referred me.  When I saw the hand surgeon, he concurred but said he wanted to get me an MRI, "just in case".  The MRI showed that I have a moderate tear in the ligament, but it is on the outside (closest to my thumb), which he said is not the usual place for these tears.  He said the I would not like how it could be "treated" immobilize it and then shots or I could just leave it alone and not use it and that it would take a long, long time to heal as it is torn about half way across.  Well, now the pain is worse and so is the swelling.  I am not sure if I should see a different doctor or go back to him to have him do something.  Have they waited too long to fix it? could the injury become worse?  I cannot unlock my front door or start my car, cut paper, eat with a fork, and writing causes enough pain for me to drop things. The pain also runs up to my wrist and to the middle knuckle if I have had to use it.  Can something be done or is this just going to swell more and stay this way?
Hi, This happened to me 2 years ago and I had surgery to repair the tear. However, the ligament snapped recently and I had swelling on top of my knuckle and at the side, whicg sounds similar to you, I have just had surgery again to repair the ligament, have the swelling cut away and I have also had the joint wired for 6 weeks to prevent me from moving it. I would advise that you try to get another opinion. Do not leave it as it will not get better and if anything it will only get worse. Believe me.