Orthopedics Community
torn meniscus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

torn meniscus

I am 30 years old male, I practice from time to time 1-2 times week one of these sports (tennis, soccer, badminton, squash, volleyball).

2 years ago I started to feel some mild pain while playing sports or jogging.

Last year I did physical therapy targetting to strenghten the knee (my PT thought is a patellofemoral syndrome).

after 2 months the pain become was reduced.

this summer again, I started having the same pattern of pain even after 1 mile of fast walking.

I was able to see a knee specialist, and after an MRI, they found the following:

Full Thickness vertical tear of the red-white junction of the posterior Horn of Medial meniscus. There is no free fragment, bucket handle or secondary osteoarthridis.

I surgery is scheduled next monday, and Since I am planning to be very active this summer and cannot take more than 1 week of time off from my job, I am worried how much does it take to completly recover from this kind of surgery if :

1-the torn mensicus portion was removed

or  in the case the surgeon put it back

1 more question:

Since I do not feel any locking or major disconfort with my knee, and even the mcmurray and other tests failed to make me feel the pain, I was wondering if in my case, the surgery is the only option ?

I was not able to discuss these issues with my surgeon, and the next time I can see him is 5 minutes before the surgery, so I better cancel the surgery now if it can wait of it is not really needed:)

Thank you

Wajdi

three operations-2 on r/knee with removal and 1-on left knee-pined togeather.all three operation took between 8-10 weeks before normal-swelling is main thing to keep down and rebuilding knee strength,
Thank you bill for sharing this with me. but there is no expert on this website to answer my questions ?