Orthopedics Community
total foot reconstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

total foot reconstruction

I had a total foot reconstruction 7 weeks ago.  I had the maximum 6 procedures that could be performed.  I had 6 incisions and over 100 stitches.  I was in a cast for 6 weeks, and now am in a removable boot and still use crutches.  I am increasing weight bearing a little at a time and in physical therapy.  A year ago I also had a total knee replacement on the same side.  I want to know realistically how long it will be before I can drive and ditch the crutches and walking air cast?  I also need to do the same total knee replacement and foot reconstruction on the other leg.  Has anyone else had similar experiences?  My left foot now is really painful from bearing all the weight for the last 7 weeks since the surgery on my right foot.  I already have worn orthodics for 25 years.  What can I do about the pain in the left foot?
Hello Dear,
You need good rehabilitation and physical therapy before you resume your daily activities.It might take a longer time for complete healing and regaining muscular strength.You should religiously follow your physical therapist and unless your present conditi improves you should not go in for any other surgery.
Best
Thank you for your quick response.  I have a very good result from my foot surgery and the therapy is going very well.  I have had a limited amount of pain compared to the painful knee replacement surgery and physical therapy following that.  It has been 13 months since then, and the only lasting effect is the "knocking" popping sensation and sounds from the rotating platform knee system.  I thought it might go away, but it still hasn't.  
I don't intend on repeating the two surgeries on the other side for a couple of years, unless my left foot or knee dictate it quicker.  I am bone on bone on the knee, and the left foot is worse than the right was.
Thanks for your encouragement and any other advice is welcome.  I hope to go back to teaching in the fall where I travel between 5 locations.  I have been off work since the beginning of April.
Thanks again.