Orthopedics Community
trigger finger surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

trigger finger surgery

3 months ago I had trigger finger surgery and have had problems ever since.   My doctor took out a tendon from my middle in order to stop the clicking in my middle finger.  

I have been having severe pain...like nerve ending smart pain periodically in my finger.   It almost takes to the ground it is so painful.   Sometime it takes 30 - 40 minutes for my finger to feel better.

Is it normal for a tendon to be remove to fix a clicking finger?   If so, is the pain normal?

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Trigger finger, or trigger thumb, is a type of stenosing tenosynovitis in which the sheath around a tendon in a thumb or finger becomes swollen, or a nodule forms on the tendon.

Injection of the tendon sheath with a corticosteroid is effective over weeks to months in more than half of patients but surgical correction is required in some cases as yours,
the problem is predictably resolved by a relatively simple surgical procedure (usually outpatient, under local anesthesia). The surgeon will cut the sheath that is restricting the tendon.

Recurrent triggering is unusual after successful injection and rare after successful surgery.

Difficulty extending the proximal interphalangeal joint may persist for months and benefits from exercises to stretch the finger straighter.

Just check with your surgeon the treatment given to you and if you need exercises?
Take care!

I had my surgery Fri. July 24, 2009 and it feels great!!  no more pain and as you can see i am typing with out a problem. Good luck and stay away from pain meds they will not help and will stop you froim using the finger .  just keep moving your hand and fingers and the pain will go away quickly.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Remember, surgery is always good but keep it as a last option if nothing works and the symptoms aggravate and come in the way of your daily routine. In the case of Devine 1963 it worked very fine.

Try all the pros and cons.

Let the surgeon explain to you everything in detail before you undergo the procedure & follow the do's and don'ts.

Take care!