Orthopedics Community
trigger thumb post op numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

trigger thumb post op numbness

4 weeks ago I had surgery to release trigger thumb. One side of my thumb has been numb since then. Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks.
How are you feeling?
A trigger finger is a manifestation of stenosing tenosynovitis that results in painful catching of the involved flexor tendon as the patient flexes and extends the digit.
As the affected digit is slowly flexed, it snaps or triggers into a flexed position.
Once the digit triggers, extension is difficult and, occasionally, must be obtained manual.
Many require surgical intervention, which is recommended before 4 years of age to prevent permanent contracture of the IP joint.
Surgery is the option if conservative treatment fails.
A small transverse or oblique incision is made in the region of the A1 pulley (just distal to the distal transverse palmar crease) and overlying the affected flexor tendon.
The A1 pulley is incised. After surgical release, the hand is bandaged for several days.
Activity is resumed gradually.
Surgical risks include digital nerve laceration, tendon rupture, infection, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
What you are having is one of the complications of surgery. You can start on physiotherapy as this would avoid disuse atrophy of muscle and as nerve injury would take time to heal.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hallo I also have had surgery for trigger thumb and carpal tunnel in the last 5 weeks.  I was reading your response to another fellow sufferer, and wondered if you could tell me what spacific physio you would recommend for me.  I plkay the piano, and type constantly on my laptop, and I use the thumb for these things.  But I guess there is something more specific I could do to try and bring the thumb back to normal.  Incidentally it is only the side and tip of the thumb I cannot feel.  The other side is ok.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
H there
I had the same surgery last april and my surgeon said it could be up to a year before feeling in your thumb returns. I had the same numbness down one side. He then discovered he had severed the nerves in my thumb during the procedure and last week I went in to have them repaired. Am now in paster for 3 weeks in loads of pain and very fed up!
Hope yours heals well and no complications
Take care
Hi There, I had a trigger thumb two years ago and had the surgery.  The surgery went well, I had very little pain.  I teach keyboarding and I type a lot.  Well, I noticed that the numbness that I felt at the tip of my thumb and on the side of my thumb was continuing weeks after the surgery.  I did see the orthopedic surgeon after the surgery and he said that hopefully it would heal, however, sometimes the numbness is permanent.  I'm sure in my case it's permanent since it is now nearing the two year time span.  The fact is that my thumb does not hurt and it does not trigger.  That is a vast improvement and I just accepted the numbness.  After reading your post, I would never have surgery done further on my thumb.  I'm glad I saw this because I often wondered if I should go back for further treatment.
I had release of my second and middle finger on my left hand one week ago. The surgeon seems to have done a neat job of the sutures but I am left with what I can only see as being problems. Neither finger is very flexible now i.e. I can't straighten either of them (regardless of the pain - they just won't straighten. Secondly, one of the fingers, the middle digit is COMPLETELY numb. Now, I've seen a lot of people talking about their thumbs being affected, but this is my middle finger. Has the surgeon messed up and damaged the nerve, or will the feeling come back again eventually?
Nearly 12 weeks post trigger thumb/carpal tunnel surgery on primary hand, the thumb joint is enlarged and hand still feels tight.  Pain in the region of the surgery and thumb when hand is utilized in a normal/usual pattern.  Palm has some discoloration and remains tender.  What would you recommend?  Would an orthopedic physician be of any assistance?
Thank you.
you mean the doctor said it could take a year to get the feeling back. Is that without more surgery?