Orthopedics Community
triple arthrodesis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

triple arthrodesis

I had a triple arthrodesis(ankle fusion) done on july 13,2006.In december i still had severe swelling in my foot and ankle.My doctor had me see a vascular specialist for testing which everything came out ok,but i still had the swelling not to mention severe pain as well.The vasculer doctor said he would pass on the results and have the doctor get in touch with me to discuss them.It took over a month to call me,in the mean time i contacted another doctor for a different opinion,see him on april 26th.For now i still have severe swelling and pain.The pain i had before surgery was across the top of the foot,all around my ankle and the bottom of my foot.Don't have much pain around the back of the ankle but still have it across the top of my foot,toes and the bottom of my foot,everything still swells up,almost just like it did after surgery,sometimes.Any thoughts would be appreciated,sorry for the long description.
I feel your pain. It is not unusual to have pain and swelling for 1 to 2 years after your arthrodesis. I suffered 2 crushed heels and my husband his right heel in a head on collision July 2002. Subsequently, I had a triple arthrodesis on my right foot Mar 2003 and a subtalar fusion of my left foot in July 2003. My husband also had a subtalar  fusion in April 2003. We both continue to have pain and swelling. In Sept 2005 I had a double arthrodesis on my left foot, which means I now have both feet fused. I continue to have a great deal of discomfort in my left foot, primarily along the dorsum or top of my foot and on each side of my ankle. I started cortisone shots last month. My right foot is much better, although still can be painful at times, it does not swell like my left one. My husband's is always swollen.  The joints in the top of your feet are under a great deal more stress, as is the ankle. Some of your aches and pains could be from that. I was very pleased with the outcome from my right foot, but have not been with that of my left foot. From all that I have read outcomes vary. My surgeon (an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle) tells me that it can take up to 3 years before you fully recover and even so, you may still feel pain and have swelling. Initially, I regretted having the last surgery becuase recovery time is so long, but I am feeling better about it now. I have had to learn to put it in persepctive. Look at where I started and compare it to where I am now. Difficult for you since you are less than a year out. Too soon. Stay strong, do your exercises, get support stockings, don't over do it, and elevate your foot as much as you can.
l am 43yrs old an had a triple arthrodesos 22yrs ago as a result of a car accident. l have put up with chronic pain and swelling, to the point where l had to go see my specialist and he has given my cortisone injections which l must say it has no reduced any pain if anything it is now worse.  l will be going back to my doctors in a few weeks time to discuss next option. If anyone has imformation would be very much appreciated..hope to here soon