Orthopedics Community
ulnar shortening osteotomy pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ulnar shortening osteotomy pain

I had a ulnar shortening osteotomy 18 months ago due to damage to cartalidge. I still have the plate in my arm. Recently my arm and wrist have been causing alot of pain. Where the osteotomy was carried out I can feel what feels like a gap and is so painfull. the bones took 6 months to unite. Could they have come apart again? I am a student and write with my right hand which is the arm I had the osteotomy on, and do tend to carry quite heavy things (mainly my 5 year old child) which doesn't help. Am at the end of my tether with this. The doctor discharged me 6 months ago despite the fact I told him it was painfull. Does the plate need to come out. Has anyone else had this problem?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is less possibility of your bone to fracture again as you did not have another injury or any exertion to your hand. (Just taking care of your child and writing.) Confirm the injury by an X-ray.  Remember the plate is a foreign body and sometimes with muscle,tendon compression and nerve problems you have this pain. If it does not correct with physiotherapy then i am sure your Orthopaedician will take serious note of this. Take care and follow up near your Orthopaedician.