Orthopedics Community
ulnar sided wrist pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ulnar sided wrist pain

I fell at the beginning of 2011 snowboarding, I went to catch myself yes I did the one thing everyone knows not to do. I didnt break it, xrays were normal so I wore a splint for 6 wks and called it all good. well unfortunately my wrist continued to hurt off and on, and i would resprain it over and over, Ive lost count how many times and id do it doing very innocent things like picking up a box,etc. My last big sprain was 13 wks ago on a scuba diving trip, I cant even tell you what I did. It was bad enough and lets just say Ive had it with this pain, that I went to my ortho doc and was checked out. Normal xrays, splinted again for 6 wks with continued pain so did a MR arthrogram and it came up basically normal (SL ligament mildly frayed,fluid in radioulnar joint) no signs of tears, so we proceeded to do a steroid injection last week and I will have to say its still bugging me. The pain is right above the ulna, more the area of the LT ligament. Pushing/Pulling,grabbing doesnt help things. What makes things worse its my dominant hand. My ortho thinks I might still have a possible tear of my LT ligament. Im running out of options the only thing left she says is an Arthoscopy. Really? The thought of surg make me sick... How long will it take for me to know if the steroid injection works, its been 5 days (one of five days was good) but my wrist still has been bugging me and it even woke me up last night. I really want the steroid to work. I just need alittle insight. Thanks!
Hi there!

The steroids typically start working in a couple of days and a week should be a good time to check if you notice any improvement. Since the MRI did not show anything serious, a severe injury is unlikely and the pain could be related to mild degeneration and associated inflammation. I would suggest rest and immobilization for 4-6 weeks along with aanti-inflammatory medications, before considering an arthroscopy.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!