Orthopedics Community
uneven leg length

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

uneven leg length

Hi- I broke my femur a few years ago. After numerous surgeries,my right leg is now 1" shorter than my left. I stand for hours at work. I'm getting a lot of pain in my LEFT hip and right heel which I'm guessing is due to things being out of whack. Any ideas? Thanks.
My left leg is shorter than my right, after a couple of surgeries.  I am guessing it is more than an inch.  My surgery was done MANY years ago when I was 12 yrs old (now 48), and I haven't really felt any pain per se.

But...4 yrs ago I had x-rays done on my back, and they found out that my spinal cord was s-shaped due to the difference in the height of my legs.  So if I were you, I would go to an orthopedian and let them know your concerns.  They may want to put an implant in your shoes to help make up for the difference.  It will help you with your hip and heel problem too, as the are probably taking up all the slack.

The complications after fracture femur which can result in unequal limb length are shortening, varus or valgus deformity and rotational malunion.

Improper alignment of the bone may result in shortening of the injured leg.

Unequal limb length can lead to complications like arthritic changes in the weight bearing joints such as hip, knee and ankles.

In order to avoid any late complications, I would advise you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for proper radiological assessment and treatment.

Regards

Thanks all.
I have one leg about an inch shorter than the other, but just used a lift until about 5 yrs ago (Its from a very bad fracture)..now I seem to have arthritis in the whole left side, including hans (!) and shoulder..how does this make any sense...BTW--the break happened before they were able to do surgeries to make them the same length, and, I have extensive muscle damage in teh leg alo..almost lost my main artery...any advice greatly appreciated...
I have had a leg length descrepeny of 1 inch,since breaking my femur 40 years ago.Four years ago it was corrected.It has been determined that I have an old lower back injury also.I suffer from seizures since having the correction made.My question is,does the correction of the leg lenght discrepency and my back injury cause the seisures.