Orthopedics Community
unusual knee problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

unusual knee problem

I just noticed that my knee felt bruised when I was leaving work today and I didn't hit it on anything.  I looked at it and it is a bit swollen on top of the kneecap.  It is red on the top and a couple spots around the kneecap.  Also it seems there may be a pocket of fluid on top of the kneecap.  It is also warm to the touch.  Does any one know what this could be?  ( I am a former figure skater and I know while I was skating I did some damage to my knees, however they haven't bothered me for a long time) (I have also been told I may have Lupus but I haven't been to the rheumatologist  yet to see for sure, i don't' know if it makes a difference with this...)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is an inflammation of your tendons. Tendonitis.
Take antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs and visit an Orthopaedician to come to a proper diagnosis.
Assess whatever damage you have done and also go for testing of the Lupus!
Take care as Lupus causes generalized joint pains and has many other problems associated with it.
It is always good to get yourself diagnosed and try for the best possible treatment.
Take care!
Thanks for the information DrVinod I, its easier said than done at this point as I don't have any insurance... (nor can I afford it since my husband is unemployed and we live in Michigan where jobs are very scarce)

Thanks again!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I have given the best possible advice as i do not want your SLE(lupus) to cause any gerneralized problems to you.
Somethings, should be more prioritized and  please try to get some medical help in centres where they charge less and Govt Sponsored as i do not want you to face problems without a proper diagnosis.
Take care!