Orthopedics Community
what cause this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

what cause this?

I am 45 and have DDD, 2 in the neck and 3 in the lower back from auto wreck in the 1993. I have weakness in arm with numbing, tingling and pains in neck plus shooting thru arm.
In the lower back- have pains in butt area and shooting pains thru leg, tingling in butt and leg and today lose bowel movement and bladder control without feeling it twice.

I was fine till these are showing up now and never had plms before.

Thank for you time. DocBlaze
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is part of the natural process of growing older. Unfortunately, as we age, our intervertebral discs lose their flexibility, elasticity, and shock absorbing characteristics.
Degenerative disc disease is as certain as death and taxes, and to a certain degree this process happens to everyone. However, not everyone who has degenerative changes in their lumbar spine has pain. Many people who have "normal" backs have MRIs that show disc herniations, degenerative changes, and narrowed spinal canals. Every patient is different, and it is important to realize that not everyone develops symptoms as a result of degenerative disc disease.
Treatment:
Your orthopaedician will be able to discuss with you what your diagnosis means in terms of treatment options. For most people who do not have evidence of nerve root compression with muscle weakness, the first line of therapy includes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy. A soft lumbar corset is often prescribed in order to allow the back to have a chance to rest. Surgery is offered only after physical therapy, rest, and medications have failed .
Take care!