Orthopedics Community
what is: partial detachment of the labrum?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have had 6 surgeries in the last 2 years do to groin pain.  I do not know if this was the cause the whole time, they kept doing different things each time because they could not figure out why I was still in pain.  I just had an MRI with contrast and my doctor has not called me back yet with the results but I can see them online.  Can someone tell me what this means Please?  

IMPRESSION:

1. Findings consistent with diffuse partial detachment of the labrum superiorly.
2. Mild subcortical signal alteration of the acetabulum posteriorly possibly
related to degenerative cyst formation.

Thank you!
Tags: Hip Labral, labrum
Hi there!

The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the socket of the hip joint (acetabulum), in the pelvis. The MRI described a tear in the labrum with associated degenerative changes and possible cyst formation, which could be responsible for the symptoms. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!