Orthopedics Community
worsening knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

worsening knee pain

What are the implications of these MRI results:
Keep in mind there was NO trauma!

1) hyaline cartline in all knee compartments demonstrate thinning and surface irregularity with variable thickness defects including near full thickness defect in the medial patellar face which measures 13 mm in size

2) subchondral impaction fracture in the medial tibial plateau with matching contusion in the femoral condyle

3) radial near complete avulsion tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus in the root ligament region.

I am being watched for inflammatory arthritis althogh I do not fit the typical "picture".  Is this damage indicative of that type of process since I had absolutely no injury to speak of?  What is my prognosis.  I am 55 y.o., what should I expect will be the recommendation
Hi there!

The changes described on the MRI are primarily degenerative type and could occur secondary to trauma or due to increased wear and tear. Since there is no history of trauma, the condition is likely to be progressive and may require a surgical repair in the near future. The precise prognosis would depend on the severity of the condition, which can only be described after viewing the actual images or a detailed report. It would be best to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating orthopedician. Meanwhile I would advise resting the leg and limiting weight bearing. Use of OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!