wrist fusion surgery????......really bummed
two years ago i hurt my wrist snowboarding......i didnt see a doctor until a couple months had gone by........a few doctors, mri's xrays and arthrograms later i found the wrist doctor for the lakers. he came to the conclusion that i tore a small ligament in my wrist causing the instability and pain at the base of my thumb and wrist.  my grip isnt too bad but it hurts to do anything, especially exerting pressure with my hand.  the doctor said the only realistic option would be to fuse the wrist, however he thinks id be better off living with the pain. id like to do that but its getting worse. seems the fusion is inevitable.
im an active 32 year old who lives to surf and snowboard. will i be able to do these things anymore let alone work?...................super worried and depressed.............
hi, i read your post, i totally understand, i went through all of that and finally had a dr beleive me, he did surgery on the elbow, twice, 3 shoulder surgerys, 3 wrist surgerys, as of right now, they said everything is fine, but however, my elbow, shoulder and wrist still swell, , numb, but i did some checking online and found out , some things and decided to try it, (casting  my arm, wrist, and half way up towards the shoulder, and you know what, i feel 100 percent better, i sleep now, and read this will mob your arm, and it does work.
Hello everyone.  Just looking for some advice.  I had a downhill bike accident last year which shattered my non-dominant right wrist in ten pieces through the joint. They plated and 8 screws the distal radius fracture then I flew home a week later.  2months later, pain++ and decreased ROM. Second surgery to cut off bone fragments which had attached to carpals and "clean out".  Now I have full supine range but only 40% extension/flexion. Pain ++ over scapoid/lunate/RADIUS.  Doc suggesting partial fusion, but never even mentioned PRC or 4-corner fusion w/ scaphoid removal.  Any suggestions?? I've spend hours reading all your wonderful posts and just wish I knew the right decision to make!
The right decision is totally up to you and your doctor. I had pain over my scaphoid lunate, and radius. They did a partial STT fusion on me with a radial styloidectomy. I'm so much better now. My surgeon told me that a four corner fusion is always a second option down the road, knowing how active I am (cycling, and working as a nurse) an STT fusion was the best option as I gained rom and got rid of the pain.
Good luck!!
I am so sad that I am facing the possibility of having my dominant hand wrist bones fused.  Long story but due to a really bad medical decision I was misdiagnosed with cellulitis when actually I had osteomyelitis.  The damage to my wrist bones was severe...if you look at an x ray you will not see any cartilage in between my wrist bones.  My entire right arm and shoulder are weak.  I have become ambidextrous.  My right hand is not in pain unless I strain it or do too much.  However I know that it is deteriorating.  Last year I went to two different orthopedic surgeons.  The first one wanted to immediately perform a full wrist fusion.  The second one said ONLY to do that as a last resort!  I am almost 48 and very worried this is where I am heading.  
Hi biker.....sorry to hear about your wrist.  I also have a extensive damage to my left wrist.  I fell from a 30 ft roof 4 years ago and landed on my leg and hand .... Shattered my distal radius into dust.  I haven't yet decided what to do with it yet... But I did have my ankle fused ( it had a similar break as my wrist if not worse) I am happy with my decision to fuse the ankle, as it has helped somewhat reduce my constant pain.  I am currently waiting to see a wrist specialist , hopefully in the next few weeks.  I am considering fusing my wrist..... Only because I want to get back into surfing again and the pain from paddling out is rather annoying, to put it mildly.  I would have to assume that downhill biking would have the same aggravating effect on a smashed wrist.  I will keep you posted once I talk to my specialist and let you know what he recommends.  Have you decided what you are going to do with your wrist yet? Please keep me posted as I am trying to research aswell......ps I'm a 30 year old previously active male.... Eager to get off the sidelines asap... Stay positive.
Going to have a fusion in my right wrist on the 18th May due to my RA getting worse.  My surgeon the best in Scotland would NOT do this procedure unless he thought it a must.  Yes I am going to lose some mobility but through a postive outlook of mind and knowing that it has to be done before I lose all mobility in my hand helps a lot.  Yes you may not be able to do some of the stuff you did before but I think I have both my hands and feet in sort of working order so I shouldn't complain.  Lads are coming home from overseas with limbs missing and they are being positive.  Sometimes life deals us rubbish and you just gotta have a positive state of mind and learn to adapt!
Had a dirt bike crash 11 years ago broke left femur right tibia plateau right wrist legs have been repair after 9 surgeries mostly from non-unions had 2 surgeries on right wrist also from non unions after dealing with pain for a couple of years and start to loss function of the wrist had it checked by the doctor he discovered I had Avascular necrosis  The options giving to me where total fusion or 4 point fusion well I opted for what I thought was the lesser of the to evils had the operation 3 months ago was one of the most painful surgeries I've had other then the femur. started PT 2 months after surgery and was checked and released to go back to work 2 weeks ago and have had server pain to this date since the surgery figuring it would take some time to go away. Talking with my physical therapist he thought this was a little unusual to have this much pain this far into my recovery he decided to get me in for another check up ,the doctor discovered 2 of the 3 screws had backed out and may have injured the cartilage in my wrist and I may need a full fusion needless to say I am very bummed to have to go through this so soon after the
last surgery I am scheduled to go in in 2 weeks. Just curious if anyone has had issues with screws backing out into a joint like that.No one should have to live life in pain.
Hey I wanted to find out how your wrist was doing after the surgery in 2009.  I'm being offered the choice of either PRC or 4-corner fusion, or total fusion.     (Just took my son on surf trip to Uluwatu last summer, couldn't do anything because of the wrist pain)  I wanted to know if you can still surf and do everything else?   I'm in Ojai/Ventura, would love to see your wrist if you'd be willing to show me in person?   I'm really nervous about this whole thing.    
Uriah,
I aquired Kienbocks in 1991. stage three when i finally saw a doctor. over a 3 1/2 year time span i had a radio ostiodme, that didn't reduce the pain, then finally a proximal row carpectime. The last surgery worked pretty well concidering the range of motion and reduced pain. The pain now has gotten to the point where I'm concering a wrist fusion on my right wrist. I love riding motorcycles and the wrist just hurts to bad when I take long rides in the mountain twisties.
I had a friend who's son had Kienbocks, the doctors emobilized it for awhile and now he has now problems.
good look with your decision.
hey guys and gals I broke my wrist at work extreme pain I am in Oil and Gas industry soI use my hands alot. Ortho surgeon recomending carpectomy surgery. he talks as if its not a big deal wants to try that first rather than a wrist fusion due to my age and industry. from reading here sounds like most of yours are alot worse but has anyone had this done oh it shattered  and killed the blood supply to the luna. What is realistic time frame for going back to work? How bad is the surgery he said its outpatient. ?? any help would be great thanks
Kevin
5 weeks 2 days and all seems ok . I have some pain for the rubbing of my cast and some swollen fingers. I see the doctor or the surgeon for the first time tomorrow so we'll find out what exactly or how things are going
Hi Killroy. My youngest sister has been living with wide spread nerve pain for at least 8 years now, and all screens for diseases were negative. She saw several specialists. Final conclusion: Non-specified connective tissue disorder. In otherwords.... they don't know. She gets pretty good relief from taking anti-seizure meds, which are great for nerve pain. I know, cuz I've had to use them for my arthritis. Gabapentin; or Kepra, those come to mind. There's others, too. They are expensive, so hope you have good insurance.
Full wrist fusion for me is 12 week recovery before any weight therapy is introduced and then only light, starting at 5 lbs. I am in week 8 of post surgery and only allowed to lift a water bottle. Every doctor is different but realistically, I do not seeing you back in the O&G field for 4 to 6 months.
Sorry to hear of your mishap with the first surgery, Why are they removing the pate? I had full fusion surgery 2 months ago and they are not removing the plate, or have I heard of this before unless there is a "rejection' issue.
I had a wrist arthroscopy 4 weeks ago and the surgeon found shredded ligaments. ext appointment in 1 month but experiencing more pain than before the arthroscopy. Will I need a wrist fusion to diminish the pain? Any other options?
Had scaphoid ligament repair in nov 2011, helped some but intense pain came back. Severe arthitis at scaphoid area. Had stt fusion done in marxh of this year, some tenderness but otherwise was doing great...had kids at beach first week of july and my 4y/o little girl jumped and grabbed my hand. Pain was nearly instant and worsened over past three weeks (already had surgical followup for this past the thursday) explained to doc and did xray...I have a fracture of the fusion. In a fracture splint for the next month then back for check up...anyone have any ideas what I should expect??
I am now three years post STT fusion. I am very active, bike riding, snowboarding, strength training. My wrist is awesome. A fracture along the fusion line is more common in the beggining. I have fallen several times on my fused wrist and it has all checked out okay. Heal up from the fracture and I am sure you will love your new wrist. It has been great for me.

This thread has great information! I also have a collapsed wrist from multiple sports injuries over the years. My scapholunate ligament is torn. I figured the doctor could just reattach the ligament, but I was shocked when he said the only thing they could do was a wrist fusion. I'm 34 years old and very active, but I quit softball and basketball because of pain, and even playing my guitar is tough now. The surgeon advised me to wait on surgery because of my age and activity level, so that's the plan for now. It sounds like my condition will continue to get worse and when I can no longer stand the pain, I'll get the surgery. It ***** that we're all here in this situation, but it helps to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks again for all your posts,
Greg
Hi, I have this same injury from falling off a bicycle. I chose to live with the pain because fusion of the wrist turns it into a one way joint (down or up) all rotation of the wrist is lost. There will be a cure some day but it is not available to us yet. Do hand strengthening exercises and wait for the more reasonable cure to surface. Dr Roger R Dodds
Just found this site yesterday and am very greatful for the info.  I am a 44 year old with what I have thought was a "problem" wrist for years.  I am a former professional motocross racer so exactly when I may have injured it, or even how many times, is unknown to me.  For the past 15 months I have been getting injections every 8 weeks.  Dr finally told me no more, it was time to fix it.  Very reputable Dr.  I go in two weeks to have a lot of work done.  Getting both my CMC and ST joints cleaned up, also have a torn scapholunate lig the extent of which is unknpown and some degree of scaphoid degeneration.  Whether he can repair the ligament will depend on the extent of the damage to the scaphoid.  If it is too serious, they will perform the four-corner fusion.  I am really worried about the loss of motion.  I still ride motorcycles with my 9 year old son and am scared that it will come to an end.  Appreciate all your experiences.
I am a 62 yr. old woman who has lived a hard life of farming, ranching, horse breaking etc. Running 3 properties for my family, single handed( sorry about the odd reff:) I hurt both my wrists really badly in my early 30's. The pain progressively got worst over the next 20 yrs...to a point where I could not even roll windows in car down, turn sausages on a grill, brush my hair. Xrays showed extreme arthritis with very little undamaged cartilage on all the small bones in my hand. Swallowing pain killers was a daily issue I hated. My PARTICIAL wrist fusion has been a life and sanity saver. I had my L (dominant hand) done first and was so relieved from the dreadful pain that I had the RIGHT wrist done last year. It has been brilliant. Yes, I still get a painful reminder in my thumb/wrist joint but generally it has changed my life . I have strength, good grip and mostly no pain. Remember, I have only had partial fusions so have only lost a degree of wrist flection which is just fine by me. I can again resume my heavy workload and don't require pain relief any more. Thumbs up for Partial Fusions!!
I'm a 30 yr old woman and had a 4-corner fusion on my left hand 8 months ago (4th surgery after rupturing scapho-lunate ligament snowboarding 13 years ago) and I'm finding it more painful in the wrist now than before the surgery. My wrist clicks and 'clunks' when I move it up and down and rotate it palm up and palm down, has anyone else with a partial fusion experienced this? I'm considering a full fusion, not sure if I'm being too hasty, I was hoping for a much bigger improvement in pain levels (not having to take pain relief every day). Has anyone had a partial fusion that hasn't worked as expected? Thanks
How is your wrist fusion doing years later?? Rick
I had a scapholunate reconstruction surgery 14 months ago and it has completely failed, I am in so much more pain then I was before the surgery not only that, it has affected my neck because I have herniated discs and they didn't take precautions during surgery to protect my neck. The expert opinion I recently got was that a total wrist fusion surgery should have been done instead so that is what I am facing now. I am devastated because that was such a painful experience. I am glad I'm reading all of the comments for others that have had this done, it gives me hope. I should have gotten more than 2 opinions before I proceeded with the first wrist surgery, surgeons don't seem to think about their patients as individuals so we have to be our own advocates and make sure all of our questions are answered even if we feel like we're being whiners.
I have a similar question- what is life like after surgery. Obviously this is not quick fix but is meant to be the main option to relieve pain.

I'm 19 years old, I've had 4 years of wrist pain since breaking the capitate (middle bone) in my hand/wrist. The bottom half of the bone has dissolved from the fracture line. I've had a nerve removed in my arm to relieve the pain in June 2012 but this was unsuccessful. Movement is good but pain is getting unbearable, especially as I'm a student (lots of typing) and a swimming teacher (hands-on in the water) and swim as a part of keeping a healthy lifestyle.

A list of things is starting to build up of things that I am almost not able to do at all including: swimming, lifting, twisting lids of things etc, typing, driving and general everyday things you need two fully functioning hands to do.

I can wait, however other than the pain, the rest of the bone may dissolve too resulting in the collapse of the wrist which needs surgery where a rod goes through the entire hand to stabilise it

The fusion operation would hopefully relieve pain- the main issue, however restricting motion that I still currently have is worrying me. Any advice on things you can't do after this surgery? Will I be able to drive, swim, teach etc...
I am in the same boat as most people here crushed my right hand/wrist 8 years ago went to several doctors over that span said something not right always checked xrays etc always said it was nothing finally last year got referred to ortho turns out have stage 4 Kleinbocks. Have had orthoscopy last set of xrays ct scan shows too far gone for anything but full fusion. So here I sit 28 years old, a mechanic with the choice of not using wrist due to pain or fuse which will limit what I do and a career change is not an option
Hello, sorry to hear of your issues with your hand. I am 56 and underwent full wrist fusion in February of 2013 on my left wrist and am doing great. No more pain and I am working out, swimming and back to as normal as an unbending wrist can be. It takes some getting used to, not being able to bend your wrist, but am pain free in this hand and so far all is as described.
I would recommend you ensure you have a reputable surgeon and check their references. Also, follow the rehab exercises and follow the timeline to recovery, don't rush it.
I am experiencing issues with my right hand and will eventually have to get this hand fused as well, but will not hesitate when the pain becomes unbearable.
Good luck, keep the forum posted.
Sorry to hear about your son, but I would recommend getting another opinion from another hand surgeon specialist, preferably one that is the chief of hand surgery.
Yes I had my left wrist done almost a year ago I hate it, not only did I lose motion (50%) but the pain is worst.
Sorry to hear of your wrist. Message Phill614, I believe he is an aircraft mechanic that had a full wrist fusion. He can shed some light on any limitations after the surgery.
just spoke to phill he is a great help good to know there are people out there still working and living life, when you first hear the news you think that you will no longer be able to function. have a CT scan Monday then follow up Wednesday and another cordozone shot to help with the pain
I had my left wrist fusion surgery 2 weeks ago.  Bandages off and hard cast on yesterday.  I had surgery 13 months ago and due to arthritis a fusion was my best option.  I feel better today than I did the day I went in for surgery just 2 weeks ago.  My biggest concern is the ability to play golf. I really dont care if I ever play again I just want to live without constant pain.
thanks for the update! glad procedure went well, keep updating us. I will know on Thursday the date for my procedure  
So got the results not good but what expected the Lunate is collapsed and can see where breaking up. So full fusion here I come spoke to ortho and will be within 6 months need 2 weeks off work. she will be doing a Proximal row carpectomy and using those bones for the graft. so that's the update looking forward to being pain free and adapting to what will come my way
Good luck with your surgery. Keep everyone posted with your progress.
Great news on your progress so far. I am right handed and had full wrist fusion on my left hand in February 2013. I was playing golf again in late July once my surgeon released me to full activities. Other than having to adjust my swing, no problems with the ability to play. Take it slow and follow your surgeons timetable and you should be back on the course. Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on your progress.
Last night I was watching the AT&T Pro-Am from Pebble Beach and just thinking how terrific it would be to play again....  You made my day.

Last Saturday morning I was able to put deodorant on, using my left hand, without pain for the first time since November 3, 2012.
Just a thought for your upcoming surgery....

I had reconstructive shoulder surgery this past summer and used a Polar Care 300 cold therapy unit.  I used it for my wrist post surgery.  Probably 18 hours a day for the first week.  Where there is swelling there is pain.  I really think this helped immensely.  I borrowed it from a friend.  People that have had knee or shoulder procedures may have one (or eBay).

Best of luck.
Great news, follow the surgeons timeline and continue to feel better.
I like that idea, does it have a wrist pad specifically? they only problem I can forsee is trying to get here in Canada because ebay will kill me in shipping
so July 7th the big day, excited to be pain free, not exited for surgery or recovery
Good news Osmossis, best of luck and keep us posted when you go in and after the surgery. The wait will be hard.
spoke to local Breg Rep I can get the polar care unit with wrist attachment for $375 in your opinion is it worth it? as my benefits do not cover the unit
So here Sit another sleepless light with pain sometimes during the day wo debit sugery right thing to do then thease night solidify my reason for it
After the last 6 months have had pain in wrist and after a explratory surgery and removing a pound of scar tissue hand still hurts and stays swollen, the surgeon stated a wrist fusion. Crazy question me and my wife play Xbox & PS4 will we still be able to play as that our hobbies when not at work
i shot myself through my left hand 6 months ago.i am going for a total fusion next week. Tired of pain .....
Good morning Drikus, how did your Total Wrist Fusion go? I also had my wrist fused over 5 years ago and if it's any help i had started a blog titled Total Wrist Fusion. you can also click on my name and it'll lead you to the blog and may answer a few question you might have it's long but I believe helpful. please keep posting on your healing progress. regards  Phill
Hi Phil...I commented on the photo with you and your wife. RSVP
I am facing wrist surgery/fusion but and unsure of it. I have gone to two doctors who are very cavalier about what is suppose to happen.
It is great to live in the Colorado rockies and have access to surgeons used by the ski and snowboard teams! Surgery was on Wed. They used a nerve block which kept going almost 24 hours plus they placed a nerve pain pump which got me through Saturday night. It is Sunday morning and still not much discomfort. Day after went to pt and was fitted with a brace not a cast. Fingers are swollen but moving a bit. Looking forward to getting back to skiing, biking and crafts!