Orthopedics Community
wrist fusion surgery????......really bummed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

two years ago i hurt my wrist snowboarding......i didnt see a doctor until a couple months had gone by........a few doctors, mri's xrays and arthrograms later i found the wrist doctor for the lakers. he came to the conclusion that i tore a small ligament in my wrist causing the instability and pain at the base of my thumb and wrist.  my grip isnt too bad but it hurts to do anything, especially exerting pressure with my hand.  the doctor said the only realistic option would be to fuse the wrist, however he thinks id be better off living with the pain. id like to do that but its getting worse. seems the fusion is inevitable.
im an active 32 year old who lives to surf and snowboard. will i be able to do these things anymore let alone work?...................super worried and depressed.............
Tags: fusion, Pain
I totally understand how you feel. I also have a bad situation but in  my elbow keeping me from doing everything I live and breath for. Surgery the only chance of fixing it but might not help or even make it worse, What a nightmare. If I were in your situation I would not have your wrist fused and somehow live with the pain in hopes it might improve somhow some way. Once you have it fused it's permanently disabled as a moving part of your body and theres no turning back. Good luck with whatever you do
makes me wonder if it were kobe bryants wrist would there be another option...
yuck!  I'm so sorry you have to make this kind of decision...You might ask you doc to put you in touch with some people who have had the surgery, and see what they tell you about their daily activities. Either option is not good, but getting more info might help you choose the better one.
It would make such a HUGE! difference in making life altering decisions like this or my situation if you could actually call your doctor and ask him stuff as you think of things. I know for me its always the nurse will get back to you later and when she does what she says doesn't quite answere your question and then brings up another question and she gets back to you the next day with another half as!@# answere. Its like having the most important conversation in your life through a third party who gets things messed up and unclear and when its done the doctor probably thinks your a pain in the a!@# and you still don't really know what to do. I know it's impossible but I'll bet if you or I were able to sit down somewhere like at your house with the doc for like a whole evening and really discuss things thoroughly instead of in 10 minutes in his office we would know for sure what we wanted to do and then do it.
yeah the doc just throws words like fusion around and im supposed to know what that entails. i had no idea that i was looking at a permanent disability.............im not sure i even got 10 minutes....these surgeons are like robots
can you guys not email your doctor?  i email my doctor all the time and he usually gets back to me in about 3-4 hours with information...i find that works well because there is always something i forget to ask...
i was never offered an email  address....seems like i have to pay the full 180 bucks for an appointment to ask a question......
I asked my neurologist if I could e-mail her because for me that would be perfect, even better than talking to her cause of forgetting to says things in conversation and she said no she has never done that with her patients.
seems like orthopedic surgery is mostly a heartless chopshop
arghhh
arghh is putting it mildly. I have this ulnar nerve that needs surgery which might not even help me get the feeling and use of my hand back but will certainly destroy me financialy and mess up my job cause of long recovery time. I have also many MS symptoms, extreemly dizzy all the time, numb body parts, unbearable fatigue, many more to mention. Nobody beleives anything is wrong with me,even friends and family cause none of my symptoms are visible which adds to the misery cause absolutly no understanding or support. . Docs haven't figured it out yet with MRI and every blood test ect,ect, . I cant stand it anymore. I really mean I CAN'T stand it anymore. If I didnt believe in God and didn't think I would go to hell for it I would blow my head off right now to escape this un ending daily torturous nightmare. I am not a depressed suicidal person but I CAN'T STAND!!!! this anymore with no end in sight for 4 months now and getting worse. I pray to God for death in my sleep tonight because that is the only way this is ever going to end. Good luck with your wrist Jeremy. Good-by
First i am just recovering from a wrist fusion, there was no option for me since shattering my wrist a year ago, yes i will lose some mobility but hopefully gain strength and have kess pain. Also i see no reason why you couldn't surf, snowboard etc, you don't need you wrist for that. I know there are some things i will have difficulty doing but i'm sure i will adapt.
hi barb888355, i was just diagnosed with stage 3-4 keinbocks recently and have to change my job situation as well as everything else in life. My lunate has shattered, but my doctoer doesn't want to fuse right know because the form of my and and flex motion is still in tacked. The pain I guess I can handle, I have built up a tolerance for it over the years, but I'm concerned about waiting for the deformaty to accure. I went for help twice in the past and was x-rayed and told it was tendenitus both times. home much does the fusion change things as far as pain and visually?
Well now....in 2003 I had a 35-40 mph impact with a truck while obeying the driving laws on my motorcycle.  I had ulna/radial head fractures with shattered palm bones incl complete ligiment and some tendon tears with chronic inflamation (inflammation) of the ulna nerve.   Ortho put me back together as best they could but the lunate ligiment surgery was futile.  So fusion was my only option and that was in late 2004.  I decided to put it off and go on pain managed care with daily morphine.  Its helped up until now, as the more I attempt to do with my arm and hand the worse the erosion of the bone becomes.  I love to ride my motorcycle.   The the more I research in this sport the more I find that we humans do adjust to most debilitating injuries.  So as of this week I've decided to have the fusion, and lose over half my chronic pain, which is a fair trade off for me as I want to start riding again.  You will be fine if u take the time to network with others who have had similiar injuries with like interests ie skateboarding, surfing etc. Utilize the tons of pain meds available, to help u understand your limitations and proceed from there.  Remember you are still alive and will always have the resources you need, so take your time and you may just find u will make the right decision that you can live with.
Good Luck and try not to focus on the negatives this life forces us to recognize, there will always be a solution u just have to be there to see it for yourself.
im 39 now, in 2001 i had a wrist injury that required the replacement of the scaphoid-lunate lig. which was harvested from my ankle, you might ask your doc to consider this option. had it not been for a motocycle crash in 06, my wrist would still be in good condition. external fixators were put in place till the graph took.total therapy/recovery was about six months post-op.and had about 88% strength/function/ROM. i lived with moderate arth. discomfort but payoff was worth it.now im looking at total wrist fusion or total wrist joint replacement,and im skepticle of both based on my age and active liestyle.but it wouldn't hurt you to discuss the option of harvesting your own tissue with your ortho surgeon before you jump into situation that could be permanent.screws loosen and plates can break cuz were not made of that stuff.and there is no promise that the pain will go away.i also had donor tissue graphted into my knee,all major ligamenst were gone and they were going to take my leg. but thry reconctructed my knee and the tissue took and saved my leg. i walk today because of tissue harvesting/transplanting.check it out.
Just had my wrist fused last week. Too soon to tell if it has helped yet as I Am still in pain from the surgery. I lived 30 years with arthritis that developed after a fall or falling off a bike or jumping into the wrong end of a swimming pool.
I finally had to say what the f#&K and just do it. I got a bad back and arthritis in my foot also. The back will be next after the wrist heals, I can't go on with the pain
Hi, i shattered my wrist whilst ice-skating and tryinging to avoid falling on a lil boy, ended up in hospital to have my wrist maliputated then the following day being admitted into hospital where i had an operation to insert a plate and 7 pins. My operation was Feb Fri 13th 2009 and i'm still not able to use my hand properly and can still hardly move it. Just to add to everything i'm still in so much pain which is making me depressed. I think i can safely say that it has ruined my life. I see the physio every week where she tells me things are getting better, they are just taking my time. I decided to have a look on the internet to see if there were any other people in my situation where we can ***** and moan about things and just get things of ours chest.
I was pushed from behind by a bouncer and landed on my wrist. I had nine breaks in the radial head  . I had K wires in first ,then after a week i was back into the operating room for a plate and nine screws.. This was back in early November 08. Then a couple of the wires broke through the skin as the swelling went down and they got infected, back into hospital again for a few more days before the took them out. I still have a lot of pain in the wrist and thumb that they say is probably arthritis forming and when it gets too much to put up with they recomend fusing the wrist.As i used to play golf and lay bricks for a living this news is not so good. hopefully the judge awards me a healthy sum to compensate for all this . Good luck with yours.. Taking panadol daily seems to help with the pain. (when i remember to take them)
Sjelby
I am 23 and have instability from a ligament injury from a MVA.  It is my right wrist and I am right dominant.  I had surgery, dorsal wrist arthroplasty, almost a year ago.  4 months post op my doctor drop the partial wrist fusion bomb shell, I did not see it coming. I still have pain everyday, decreased grip strength, my ulnar sided pain is back, and my shoulder, elbow and left arm are starting to feel the effects of increased use.  I am a RN.  I know I will go through with the surgery but I would love to hear how people feel after a partial wrist fusion. Any regrets?  Being young do I have more to consider down the road.  Quite honestly I want to just jump on my bike and ride again, or dive into a pool and swim labs again without pain or needing to put on a splint!  

Also, I know we all think of questions as soon as we leave the room, try to write them down and bring in your list,  and google other questions to ask.  I know it has helped me in the past and uses the doc time more wisely.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
As all other methods of consevative treatment fail your orthopaedician has adviced for partial wrist fusion.
This procedure is used to reduce wrist pain while preserving wrist movement.
A partial fusion uses bone graft from one of the bones in the forearm to join three small wrist bones together: the scaphoid, the trapezium, and the trapezoid. These three bones form a triangle on the thumb side of the wrist. The fusion holds these bones in place when pressure or load is put on the wrist.
Okay, I understand the procedure and its intended results but what implications would it have down the road.  Is it like a knee replacement and need some work down the line?  All the information I have found and studies are done in arthritic joints and the average age is almost double mine.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes this is the only factor against you, age!  As conservative treatment should be done and if it works then fine but in your case the fusion of wrist was done by your surgeon to improve the quality of life taking all factors into consideration.
Now you should be careful with this wrist and preserve it. Do not lift weights or do any agressive work with this wrist. If you change your lifestyle and take care of your wrist there is nothing difficult down the road and there would not be any complications.
You can do normal activities slowly your strength will increase but avoid all the things your Orthopaedician has mentioned.
Take care!
hey I busted both wrists in a dirtbike crash 5 years ago....non union of the scaffoid after a screw was inserted with 3 k wires, went back for the bone graft a few months later...been ok ever since, can deal with the pain and have adjusted to having pretty much no movement, think it may have partially fused itself. Its only just started giving me real pain and clicks and grinds constantly, so just thinkin about fusion for the long term. I am an Electrician and just wanted to know anyone out there who has had a fusion and does manual work with their hands for a living afterwards and if its a tough adjustment? also any tips for just keeping my wrist healthy ( things to do, things to avoid )? I'm 27
The only thing I have ever been told for my wrist is to wear a splint! It helped more with pain relief in the begining, but wearing one while you work might decrease the pain in the short term. CORFLEX makes a great "ultra cool fit" wrist splint.  
Hope to hear what others have to say about the adjustment, I am interested too!  If you are already use to no movement you might not have much to adjust to.  Best of luck!  
I had a major dislocation of my scaphoid back in 2005 of my right hand. Had to put in pins to get the scaphoid back in place...no good after 1 year of therapy and pain it didn't work. had to get a 4-corner wrist fusion.Here I sit for the past few years in daily pain but I never stopped surfing.Bone to bone, no cartliage so I elected to stop dealing with every day pain( no painkillers) only when un-bearable, going thru with full wrist fusion 8/14/09--tommorow.Back in 2005 my left hand was dislocated and went thru the exact procedure and ended up with a 4-corner fusion. Therefore both wrists are screwed. My whole life has been insane with activity surfing,skateboarding,dirtbikes etc... my love and lif is surfing... will never stop.. After 2 wrists screwed up, I took a surf trip last October to the Mentawis off Indonesia..the best time of my life. will continue to surf until death.. I will never give up to much strength inside.. You need ot be stong in life and will aclompish all you set out to do...I am trippin about the surgery tommorow but I know after battling these wrist problems in life all is good...
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is very good to hear those lines from you.

Only take care that you do not harm anything further. Discuss with your operating Orthopaedician and continue surfing and the advice from expert will help you to minimize damage.

Take care!

You are so right... everyday is that decision to wake up and live with what life gives you and LIVESTRONG!  
A wrist is small on the scheme of life and I hold out for the idea that one day I will not be in this pain.  And if that means a partial fusion I am for it!  Still scared about it, but will LIVE with it.  Still bike riding... and would love to learn to surf, want to teach me??
Hope everything went well, keep us posted on the recovery and surfing!
Best wishes.
RB
1 week yesterday fused right wrist..hard lto type 1 handed and i am righty ..right wrist fusion the wake-up was intense.. 4 shots diladin..2 percosets 10mg..then chewed a 20 mg. oxy finally could talk 2 nurse..after 4 surgery's in 5 years this being #6 by far the most insane..to function without snivelling i need 2-10mg. percoset every 6 hours, need to try to beat the window where it acts up..i wake up all the time with pain, chew in half the 2 pills and cringe until they work/kick in..hard the first week to run my business ..too much pain.. alot of rest, ice and keeping arm up above heart level..the otherday -day 6 - pain went to different level--no appetite alot of v-8 juice  finally forced a sandwich at 3pm..though it  couldn't get worse?? day 7 got appetite back.cant type anymore will update for you that want to hear..
Any update? pain go down yet?  I would love to hear how you are doing!!! and yes, typing is difficult!
teeroy, thank you for your post, i need make a decision in the next 2 weeks weather to have a full wrist fusion or wrist joint replacement to my left wrist.  i went in for a TFCC repair back in apr 08.  i've never expierenced that kind of pain after a surgery. i kept having pain on the ulner side of the wrist and pain in the thumb joint that was irritated by the physical therapy. i had another surgery feb 13 2009 to again repair the TFCC but this time put a stich in the legimend and did another complete rotor rooter of my left wrist, this time i managed the pain better but i still was having pains through out the wrist joint. again i had several more weeks of PT that seemed to help with the Range of Motion but not a whole lot for the on and off shooting pains, oh i forgot to mention that after surgery #2 i had clicking, clunking and ratching sounds in my wrist,  i started getting a large bump on the ulnar side which got larger and larger and still lots of pain in the center and both sides of my wrist. aftter each surgery and several weeks of therapy i went back to work even with pain. In Junt 09 i had a third surgery and this time the Doc removed a large ganglion the wrapped its self around my ulnar nerve and the TFCC repair, on the thumb side he relieved pressure on a tendon by cutting the sheath.  nothing was done about the clicking, clunking, grinding and ratching.  i had 3 more weeks of therapy and stopped because of the pain. about 2 months ago same doctor sent me out for a second opinion and that doctor was quick to want to fuse my wrist, at that point i never imagined my wrist had gotten that trashed, i refused to believe that doctor.  i returned to the treating doctor and told him i wanted to get another treating doctor and he agreed.    sorry to be so long winded but this is the first site i've found that has other people that are expierencing the kind of pain i'm going through. Oh i forgot to mention at that last appt. with my last doctor i tested postive for corpral tunnel sydrum as a direct result of all the fluid in the joint and extensive PT.  TEEROY i'm looking forward to hearing how your doing..I'm 49 and extreemly active and work as a mechanic in the airline industry and i am left handed
in a cast trying to type lefty, pain went way down, stopped meds last saturday, 5 days off, pain is different. black and blue on tops of fingers went away last week fingers look normal black and blue switched to inside fingers just slightly discolored. in a cast until 1 week from today, was in for a 3 week run got 1 left, yeah. very uncomfortable hard to bend or curl fingers. want to use hand but very cautious and careful, can't wait to start therapy. top of hand still very numb.
Hi Teeroy, thanks for letting know how your doing, what has the doctor told you?  is everything going as expected?  does the cast go above the elbow and is there any pins sticking out?  when are you expected to start therapy?  was your only option a full wrist fusion or was a replacement an option?  i have talked myself out of a joint replacement because how active i am and the possibility damaging the hardware and having to go through the whole process again.  not sure if a partical fusion is the best option either because of future  arthritis and going through another surgery.  thanks again for keeping us informed   Phill

how's it going teeroy, i just saw the doctor today and have decided to go for the total wrist fusion of my left dominate hand.  having spent countless hours researching about wrist fusions and replacements and reading what ya'll have expierenced, i feel i'm making the right choice.  now i was told i would be able to get back to work full duty in about 3 months. how are you doing? are you doing therapy yet? do you feel comfortable that you made the right decision?  i'll talk to you later  Phill
pain way down, no more pills , been 10 days, cast off tuesday, started therapy yesterday, got in my pool and finally got to move my hand been 5 weeks and i am good now, no regrets, no pins full wrist fusion, 6" plate with 8 screws, scar is cool the kids love it can type again barely, therapy will help. good luck phil it's not as bad as it seems just tought it out and be strong life is life  i want to be pain free 1 day and this is my road on this journey......
I can't tell you how nice it is to hear from people on the same journey I am on.  Glad to hear everything is going well teeroy77!  I am holding out for that pain free day as well.  I just saw my doctor who advises me to wait as long as I can, he sweetly gave me a FEW more splints, I plan on having a partial fusion next year!  I am waiting for leave from work... but it really is nice to hear from all of you.
I ran into someone in PT who had a partial fusion, he was in a Long arm (above elbow) with thumb included for 4 weeks and a short for two.  He did have his scaphoid removed, so that is one less bone to fuse, I was told 8 weeks of casts.  I think pins are included to, and have heard of smaller plates for partial fusions as well.
Good luck everyone, i am glad we are in this together!
LIVESTRONG!
I too am faced with inevitable four corner fusion or proximal row carpectomy.  I broke my schaphoid 40 years ago and never knew it.  it's been painful for 30 years, and now necrotic and collapsed it is time.

I'm very glad to see this string as I have searched the internet for years for information and support with this problem.  I am an avid surfer, gardner, and guitar player and treasure the use of my hands.  

I want to talk to others who have been through this and can provide support and advice on procedures, doctors, etc. (I had my hip replace 2 years ago and there were numeroous web-based bulletin boards with tons of information and support.)  I have not found that for SNAC wrist problems.

Any suggestions?  If there is no group we should create one....there are others out there who need it too.
If you can flex and extend your fingers to normal R.O.M. a surgery would not prudent.

Best Regards
There is not much out there about this, I know how frusturating it can be, being a health care professional I like to understand everything about it, my doctor is really good at explaining things, but it leaves me to want to know more.  here is the best place I have found to talk to others in the same situation.  We all feel each others pain and now how hard and complicated the decision to move forward with a fusion is. Me, I am ready just waiting for benefits!! best of luck!
wrist surgery man,what do you want to know? where r you located? I am in So. Cal and can offer advice
I broke my wrist 33 years ago and have lived with it and have made adjustments over the years. Recently the pain has gotton worse and is difficult to deal with. I had a dr visit this week and his advice was to have a full wrist fusion. Even though the pain is intense It freaks me out thinking about this surgery. I am 50 years old. I want to thank you all for sharing about your situations. It has helped to read your stories, Thanks...
Had stage 4 Kienbock's disease since 1986 from a college wrestling injury.  Lived with pain until 2008, when I could no longer take it without painkillers.  Had total wrist fusion in Feb. 2008.  After surgery pain is extreme for about 2-3 weeks, I had a lot of swelling so used a lot of ice and kept wrist elevated most of the time.  Had an infection that increased swelling and pulled stitches through skin, that increased the pain duration and level.  Getting hand function back takes time and rehab.  A lot of post-op pain goes along with this surgery.  I did have several months with no wrist pain, and after 22 yrs that was a nice change.

I started having pain again in Sept 2009.  Had an x-ray done and found that the plate had bent and broke the head off of two screws.  One screw shifted sideways and is poking at the skin on the backside of my hand.  Have to see the Ortho on 10-6 to see what is next.  Not looking forward to another post-op experience, but I'm guessing it is inevitable.  It is hard to believe that this is the best alternative for long term relief of wrist pain.  
I hope all goes well with your next visit. I'm sorry to hear about all you have gone thru and all you have coming up. I'm glad to read you had a little relief for a while and I hope they can get this done and be able to give you a pain free end result. I am struggling with the decision to have it done or not.
I does not sound like there are many if any positive results from the fusion procedure.
I had surgey a little over a year ago. The procedure was intended to relieve the pain in my wrist.  I had no where near the pain after surgery that I had before. And the first post-op week I was so comfortable.  I hold onto that week and hope and think that some day I can be without pain every single second of the day.  I have not gotten more than 6 hours of sleep and I am so tired of the pain, the fusion surgery (although mine would be a partial) is the means to that.  That is the positive, it works to relieve the pain and gain strength.  There are complications with every sugery, and the words of my surgeon saying "its major surgery," and "I think you are too young." run around in my head, but I am tired of putting my life on hold for this wrist. I am glad to find all of you that feel the same way. To JJfrmSD good luck, keep us posted...
On Oct 3 2009, while working on a latter i lost my footing and fell approx. 10 feet onto concrete. I had surgery the next morning as the doctor in emerg. said he needed to put plates and pins in because I had reduced my bones in my wrist to near powder. He says I will need a wrist fusion in 3 yrs. Its day 4 since this and I am wide awake at 4:00 am, in pain as the pain meds aren't working. I will try and post  my experience with this injury as time goes on. I feel like most, I have altered the rest of my life. I am so depressed right now that i just don't have the words. My hands are my life and where to be a big part of my future retirement.
Keep your head up, things tend to be the worst right after injury and surgery.  having been 22 months since i was injured I will tell you time helps and hurts but you will pull through, there is no other option!
LIVESTRONG!
Had appt with ortho surgeon, will have surgery on Friday to remove hardware from my wrist.  He said fusion still looks good, and will not need plate and screw in my wrist anymore.  Will keep you posted on progress after surgery.  
My (ex)husband first tried a partial fusion as recommended by his ortho surgeon. It failed, so the only alternative was the total wrist fusion. While recovery is painful, he made an excellent and full recovery. At the time we owned and showed cattle, which involved washing, grooming, and clipping them with heavy electric clippers. After figuring out some adjustments, he had no trouble, and I'm talking very minute, precise clipping. He works as a Corrections Captain, having worked up from just an officer. He changes oil in cars, mechanics, does home repairs, etc. There isn't much he isn't able to do. It did take quite awhile for the recovery, but has no pain from it now. Good luck to all who are suffering here.
I, like i guess a lot of u, have wrist probs. I had a scaphoid break i dead center, didnt know for 3 +yrs, had the ol nonunion surgery and healed it, went to hard to soon i guess (cause it was healing i saw the xray. i think it was rehab, i would go hard...doc said i could). went to join the army, and saw xray after a appt with a surgeon and saw it was indeed broke and the click clacking sound whenever i moved it ws the screw in the bone and a gap of air. went in out month and a half ago, got the PARTIAL fusion where they take out the surgery. I have been i the cast, and just got out the temporary pins, so am starting rehab. I got like 30 degrees total already, and looking for 70+. Its not that bad, it feels ok, but trust me rehabing your muscles inside is such a btich, you will hate it so much. I have done it twice, and it blows.
Anyhow, dont do it to hard and to quick like i guess i did. good luck, and stay wrist problamatic free
HI All im after some reassurance as I’m having my right hand totally fused on the 18th November, to put I mildly I’m terrified.
To give some history, Im 29 years old, I work in computing and doing PhD as well (nothing like stress huh!).
Sine the age of 14 I have suffered with horrendous wrist pain, resulting in not being able to write without pain. I have seen god knows how many surgeons etc….but a brief history:
At 15 I had an arthroscopy and they found a baggy ligament so they tried to mend it. I have had two further operations to try and sort it, seen 4 pain clinics, had a denervation where they burned the nerves off (they reknitted), further arthroscopies and more recently they found one of the wrist ligaments had torn completely and was bone on bone rubbing resulting in a unstable wrist. To try and sort this last November they took part of my arm tendon and then threaded it through my wrist bones to pull the wrist back and try and stabilise the wrist that way, it wasn’t guaranteed to work. However I tried it and had long period of getting used to it (now have the equivalent of a partial fusion in terms of movement). However the pain is worse and it hasn’t worked so after 6 operations they have decided the only thing left is to fuse it.
I am pretty terrified but I cannot go on being on tramadol, etc and high based pain killers forever, id rather have limited movement.
I am seeing surgeon next week where he is going to put a rigid plaster cast on to simulate a fusion for me but I want reviews, I want real experience from people.
What can I expect? Recovery? Pain etc?
I have tiny boney hands so I reckon the plate will effect things?
Thanks I advance

Bex
It really sounds like we have the same injury.  I am waiting as long as I can before I have a partial fusion, it has been 21 months and thought that was bad, but I guess you have had a longer journey. Write down all your questions before your next appointment, your surgeon should be able to calm your nerves.  He may aslo know someone he has recently operated on for you to chat with.  I did some PT for pain management a few months ago and ran into a man my age who had the same surgery and he was really happy and had ROM that he didn't expect.  
And from experiance the size of the wrist determines the hardware size. But ask your surgeon, he should realize how big a step this is for you, and be willing to anwser all your questions.
Good luck!  Keep us posted!
Hi Bex and all the rest of you that have had fusions or hand surgeries, i have a new post and i plan to keep you all updated.  under the search option i typed Total Wrist Fusion and this what i wrote.                                                                                                                                                            Well today is the big day, it's 10:50am central time and i have to be at the surgery center by 1pm.  Today i'm having a total fusion of my dominate left hand, i have looked at all options and this is in my best option if i want to get on with my life as normal as possible if that makes any sense.  I've had three operations on my left hand apr 30, 2008, feb. 13 2009 and june 6 2009.  the orginal problem for the first surgery was a small tear in the TFCC ligament, that it.  i had extensive physical therapy after each surgery with only temporary relief and sometimes no relief of pain.  I went through the process to change doctors through workers comp. which went ok.  My new doctor reviewed my previous records and more checks and test and we (Doc. and I)  determined the best option due to the type of work i do and the very active life style i have is to have a TOTAL WRIST FUSION.  I plan keep everyone updated as often as possible, i want others to know what i'm going through and hopefully inform them what they will be going through.  Oh by the way the reason for the total wirist fusion is my cartlidge is totally destroyed, i have a legal matter going on so i can't mention the cause of the destroyed cartlidge.  Talk to ya'll later  Phill
Hey thanks for the reply, really appreciate it, two weeks today and im very scared. The surgeons is so lovely, he has said my plate needs to come out as im so bony and small in the wrist.  I had the choice between the partial and full but tbh ive had enough now, this is op number 7 and the idea the partial may not work for me makes me think id rather go for the drastic one but have a good result and no more pain.

The partial does give you a lot of ROM form what ive heard, trouble is my wrist moves less than a partial now due to the pain so for me ive kind of physchologically made the decision. im just hearing horror stories of the pain after and im scared. Already on high opium pain killers so i need to discuss this when i go in.

Lets hope we can all be pain free :(

Thanks again

Beckix

Phil

Wishing you all the best for your op, its good to be able to talk to others with similar injuriesi, ive had a bone scan which basically showed the whole of my right wrist wihta big problem, dont you find that some surgeons think your exagerating on the pain? My latest surgeon is so lovely and im very lucky really.

Sendin you my best wishes and keep us posted

Becki xx
I think the pain is so bad that it effects every part of your life and no one can fully understand it. I have an amazing physican who always understands my frustrations and helps work on the issues at hand... LOL
best of luck, remember pain comes after surgery but your team of Docs and nurses will make it as comfortable as possible.  
Best wishes!!!
good morning, the surgery went well according to the Doctor, the surgery  took 2 hrs. 20 min..  i woke up in hosp. room at 11:30pm hungry and having to go the bathroom (lol) never thought that would be an issue.  bone graph was taken from my left hip, doctor takes from the hip because theres plenty of bone to use for graphing.  the hip feels like a really bad charlie horse.  i feel like an old man walking around, it's a little difficult turning around in bed.  i've found stuffing 2 pillows into 1 pillow case works better 4 me to rest my arm,  last night i had a fever of 100.6, fingers very swollen, and exposed fore arm very red.  i called the Docs office around 7:30pm., i was really surprised that the answering service put him on the line.  he said it is not uncommon to get fever of up to 102, and redness and excessive swelling bothered him, doc did say total wrist fusions have an awful lot of swelling buts wants to see me before the weekend i'll heading to the dr. office about 9am .  the only reason i'm up at this hour is waiting for the next pain pill  hydrocordone 10-500.  the meds say take every 4-6 hours, i need it every 4 hours there is quite a bit of pain in the wrist but a different kind of pain than before.  Docs says it's a must to keep moving fingers so they don't stiffen up.  well thats all the one handed typing for now and time to take Med.  i'll keep ya'll updated   Phill
today is 5 days since surgery.  well i went back to the doctors office they cut away the first dressings, no signs of infection, & normal swelling. 3 xrays were taken which showed the 6 in. long plate & 8 screws and where the bone graph was placed.  18 stiches close up the plate, pretty impressive.  it was rewrapped & i go back Mon. NOV. 16th.  the biggest problem i've had is Constapation and bad, today 5 days since last business was done, the pain killers every 4 hrs and the anastetic given in the hosp, yesterday morning i took drastic measures, i stopped the meds, i was already eating very little, quit anymore food,  i tried stool softners  no help, took the green bottle of magnesiumn citrus and 2 ES exlax,  no help.  this morning i took i again took 2 more exlax  and waited about 4 hours then i drank another green bottle,  by 5 this afternoon the problem was solved if you get my drift.  now i'm sure many of you did't need that added info. but no one yet has gone step by step what they went through.  i ate a lite dinner and took a much needed pain killer. the pain i'm having trouble with is the elbow to the forearm, it feel really knotted up. swelling has gone down in the fingers a little and i do move my fingers as i was told to.  thats all for now and i'll date in a couple days    Phill
Thanks for the updates... so are you in a long arm (above the elbow) cast?  And how is the pain now compared to before surgery?  My first op I had no pain after surgery, or at least it was nothing compaired to what I had been experiancing, abd  I would take stool softeners while still on the pain meds regularly, they really slow down the GI motility.  
short arm 1/2 cast, i wish it was full arm, i'm left handed and my pea brain keeps telling me grab it, although i don't.  the pain is very different sometimes stabbing knife wrenching pain from wrist joint, sometimes in my forearm & above elbow like i lifted  weights the feeling of pulled and strained musles. then other times pain coming from my knuckles & thumb joint a long dull ache, i really know the pain when not taking meds when supposed to.  RB what has your pain been like and how long since surgery?  did bone graph come from hip?  hip doing much better each day, not really an issue except getting up and rolling over. thats it for now it took me 30 min to type this wrong handed   LOL    but thats ok  update is good   Phill
7 DAYS SINCE TOTAL FUSION, just a short note.  the last 2 days i've been expierencing some extreem nerve and musle pain just below my shoulder to about 5 inches fwd of elbow where the arm bends.  pain meds not really helping this issue, i've just put Bio Freeze on this area and it's feels a hair better.  it appears i'm also starting having another bout with Constipation, this really s u c k s.  talk to yall later   Phill
Sorry to hear about the nerve pain... and the constipation.  I had Dorsal Wrist Arthroplasty over 16 months ago, I was in the car accident over 22 months ago and since that day I have had pain like a dull ache that gets pretty intense.  I am young and my surgeon has told me to try to wait as long as possbile to have the fusion, mine would be partial, and the graph would come from my radius.  I plan on having surgery next year, it hurts way too much!  And has affected every part of my life! I am sure you understand.  
Drink plenty of fluids for the consto. and move your elbow it may help with the nerve pain.  Please continue to keep us up to date!
i posted a few new pics of my wrist, just click on my name & it will get you there.  Also today is day 8 post op, no more Constipation TG.  I'm having lots of shooting pain from elbow (funny bone area).  shooting to my pinky finger & knuckles, no pain today so far around fusion site just every else.   LOL    TTYL   Phill
Here's a link to where i'm keeping updates about my wrist-------------------------------------http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/Total-Wrist-Fusion/show/1093237          ; copy and paste in address bar          Phill
had a total left wrist fusion on fri 13nov.so far so good pain is o.k most of the time,and just wanted to reasure anyone out there who is nervous about having this done dont be,i was an absolute reck but it really isnt that bad.i had my wrist fused because my left hand is deformed(2 fingers missing)and i had worn out my wrist joint since my fusion the pain already seems much less.im back in hospital on 23 nov for dressings to be changed so will up date you all then.best of luck to all of you out there considering having this done.
pau38, glad to hear your doing better, i got the stiches out yesterday (Nov. 16th) i'm not having much pain in the fusion area buy i'm having some intense ulnar nerve and forearm muscle pain, pain killers don't help.  i just bought a tennis/golf elbow strap that secures around the forearm & so far seems to help.  yesterday i started ultra sound therapy that promotes bone growth, the ultea sound product name is EXOGEN Bone Healing System.  i'm mention this because workmans comp apporved the use and payment of this machine which tell me it must work also the doctor said it was medically necessary, i use it daily for 20 min.  Tomarrow  bexyv (Becki) is having her wrist fused, so i'm sure she'll want all of our prayers.  here's again is the link to my progress (i'm a couple days behind)     http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/Total-Wrist-Fusion/show/1093237        ; Phill
how long has it been since your fusion?are you still wearing a cast?have you had any physiotherapy?(sorry about all the questions).my pain is o.k most although sometimes it can be very intense,but i do have a lot of swelling.mymain concerns are returning to work as i am a car mechanic by trade and found it hard enough with my hand and wrist before the operation.
good morning Pau, my surgery was Nov. 3rd. i'm in a half cast/splint, i had what i thought was extream swelling bot not so according to the doctor. you can see what my hand looked like 3 days after surgery just click on to my highlighted name then click the pics.  i returned to the doctor because of fever and swelling but again according to him it looked normal.  swelling now is way way down, kinda looked like a dried up prune when dressing were removed monday. I'm an airline aircraft mechanic so I too do manuel labor for a living, that is why i elected for total fusion and not joint replacement.   before surgery i asked how long before i could return to work full duty with "no restrictions" and he said 3 months.  asked him what could go wrong he said non-union of bone graph could happen 1 by trying to use the hand to early and if i was a smoker this could a non-union.  Pau did you check out my link? this was my to update my progress. oh the pics i took were with my cell phone so that can be handy at the doctors office.  talk to you later     Phill           p.s. whats your first name if you don't mind  
my first name is paul,must have miss typed the l?and i live in norfolk in the u.k.
Hi Paul, check out this link about bone growth stimulators and ask your doctor about it. i am using a ultrasound bone growth stimulator daily for 20 min.       later  Phill-------------http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/300_399/0343.html
Good morning, todays 21 days post op. still having muscle and nerve pain in forearm/elbow and it's not really improving yet. I'm sleeping a little better and longer without waking with pain. i'm still not using my wrist for "anything", i don't want to take a chance of a non-union of the bone graph. i've been doing daily ultra sound for 20 minutes at home thats suppose to stimulates bone growth, whatever it takes to get it right and back to work and being useful.  only using pain meds a couple times a week usually at bed time.  thats about it for now, i'll update in a couple days.   Paul how are you doing?  Phill
doing really well it is day 12 for me and have not had to take any pain relief for 4 days now.had dressings and stitches removed on mon 23 nov,and rm now in solid cast for 4 weeks.i no longer have any pain at all in the wrist or arm area allthough the ends of my fingers feel strange to touch.i hope you start doing better soon.
Glad to hear you are doing well.  can I ask what kind of cast?  Long arm or short? Long goes above the elbow.  You had a total fusion, right?  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!! next year I hope to be thankful that I no longer have constant pain in my wrist! and that I made it through!
hi.yes its a short arm cast and i had a total wrist fusion.so far i am happy to say i have no regrets to having this operation done.if you are considering this next year then i hope it is as sucessfull for you as it has been for me.
Any updates?

Painfull self help phisio therapy....was prescribed to me by Orthopedic Surgion after de-fusion surgery to my big toe and the one next to it:

bowl of hot water & bowl of cold water,  place foot inside use hands knee fex bend foot toes in the one bowl till water turn cold/hot or you can't tolerate it anymore then over to the other bowl repeat the treatment....do this continuing, repetitively as often as possible... its painfull till area heald to satisfaction.....''n sagte dokter maak stinkende wonde'  = ' a soft  dr cause smelly wounds'   It works  I became a capable person  after that.....read about alternative medicine/chinese healing.....it work.....Space age electro therapy might be the thing too....Muscles can be re- allighned with soundwave -Robotic science
It was a pleasure talking to you.  Anyone that is interested in wrist fusion should talk to you.  I really needed our discussion.  I will be doing the surgery, just not sure when.  I will wait as long as I can, but it is inevitable.  I will be checking with you on your progress.  Thanks a loy.
It has been a year since my doctor droped the partial fusion bomb shell.  I want to thank all of you for helping me get through this year.
I plan on having the surgery done by next fall. And looking forward to not having pain every minute!
Again thank you all!
I too am scheduled for a Proximal Row Carpectomy. My goal is pain reduction and to regain the use of my left hand for tasks that I am unable to do now without pain (ie. shovel snow, chop firewood, kayak, etc.).
This post has been very informative and I thank you all for sharing your stories. I too will post my developments as they occur so others may learn what they have to look forward to. Best wishes for speedy recoveries, Edward.
Hi Ed

I had a total wrist fusion and proximinal rowcapetomy in dec18th 2009... bit of a double whammy. If you want any advise let me know. Im uk based and some info can be seen in p;ics on my profile. Im 3 months post surgery now and had 15 years of issues and 7 surgeries. Happy to be contacted if you want any advice etc

Becki
I see lots of activity since my last post!!!!  Very good to share.  I see several of you had four corner surgery late last year.  How is recovery going?  

I have surgery scheduled for next week but have cold feet.
hi all - - like b.i.  i broke wrist 35 years ago      finally at age 50 had fusion one week ago today. typing one finger so will be short.   had nerve block so whole left side numb from noon surgery til midnight - - it was great as i read/ talked on cell watched tv chatted up nurses etc felt like million $$$   at midnight block wore off - - - - holy **** - morphine, oxy. percocet all night - -cried like a baby - felt like a horse standing on my hand   released hospital sat - oxy and perc. sat - just perc on sunday and nothing really since.  no pain whatsoever other than elbow from holding arm up - - the pita factor of cast is the worst.   back to toronto on 14th at which time surgeon says will have another cast or a removable cast - -he says deciding factor will be degree of compliace by patient so that should not be a prob as i will keep it on and follow all orders - --just would like something waterproof.   my experience so far has been great - looking forward to new life and wish i had done it years ago
(assuming everything works)  my one piece of advice - get the nerve block helps so much after you come out of anasth...tic
(sp?)   will advise more as i go along & as i type better
OK~ I am having an STT fusion in two weeks.  I am starting to freak out!  Any new updates out there?
I can't wait to be pain free.
RB19, me too.

I am at  .   http://www.medhelp.org/forums/FOUR-CORNER---SNAC-WRIST---SCAPHOID-EXCISION---CARPAL-ARTHRODESIS---SPIDER-PLATE---SCAPHOID-NECROSIS

and I will be updating things. maybe start a new thread, who knows? I will be getting voice recognition software after the surgery.  Type by speech. That should be weird.
MISERY LOVES COMPANY.  BEST OF LUCK TO YOU  AND MAY YOU BOTH ARISE FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OPERATING TABLE
Hi all

most will know I had a wrist fusion on my right wrist in December 2009 as well as proximinal row carpetomy at the same time. It's been a very slow recovery process and I am now at work (I work in e-learning development and also doing a part time Ph.D.). Apologies for the lack of response posts unfortunately right smack bang in the middle of my recovery I lost my father unexpectedly. My issue with my wrist had been ongoing since I was 15 (I'm now 30) and the wrist fusion was operation number seven. Now the old pain has near enough gone however just when I thought things were going to be okay I start again horrendous pain by the tendon areas just above my wrist. To cut the story short my hands are very tiny and because of this the plate is prominent and I have recently found out that my tendons are now rubbing over the plate and there is a high chance that my tendons could now rupture. With so very unexpectedly and only after eight months they are going to take the plate out (only if bones are strong enough) on August 28 this year which will be operation number eight. I don't regret the fusion it's taken a lot to adapt doing various things which I never thought would be an issue. However, at work I now use will full voice activation (I work in computing) and can thoroughly recommend Dragon naturally speaking 10 and I've used a lot of a voice activation software over the years.

So to summarise, I'm back and I'm happy to answer any questions and I'd like to apologise to those that have messaged me and I haven't got back to them.

Becki

P.s this was all voice dictated!
bexyv, sorry to hear the terrible news of personal loss while recovering from all this. some times the crap just hits the fan, but I guess no time is a 'good' time for such a loss.

I have ordered "Dragon naturally speaking 10" voice recognition software. It will be delivered to my apartment a week after my surgery. You use it at work? Do you find using a mouse aggravates your wrist?  How much weight do you lift? 10 lb bags of sugar? 15 pound weights?

hey, tank you for the kind words, i use the software at work and at home as i work full time but also doing part time phd so i use keyboard a lot (and im right handed ;( )..the software is the best yet, amazing integration, i had proper training though which is helpful for commands etc.

Mouse wise due to tendon problem i cant use it right handed but once it calms down i can go back to using my evoluent vertical mouse and i also use a split goldtouch keyboard...amazing esp for bad hnd. AS i hve had this problem for 15 years ima geek with ergonmic equipment lol.im uk based but i think you can get stuff over in USA which is the same if not prob better. x

Weight wise....my hand is the strongest its ever been after fusion, i can lift a lot but have to be careful...my grip was measured before op and its 100% better...so i dont regret my fusion, for me i had no coice and had tried everything...te tendon issue and plate coming out is because im so tiny :( x
I had an STT fusion 5 days ago. I am still in the initail dressing:cast. No fingers, no elbow. Pain was bad the first night after the nerve block wore off. And I dis pass out from pain/pain meds/ dehydration. Overall pain is better now than before. I am happy with the choice and my surgeon had said it was much worse that two years ago. Will try to keep you all updated! Happy healing everyone:)
I had my right wrist fused in 1990. My left wrist fused in 2010. I used to be a carpenter. Now I am waiting for SS Disability. Having both wrists fused really *****. I have constant pain, wake up 3 or 4 times a night from it. Can no longer work. Doing anything with my hands increases the pain. I can tell you when the weather is going to change also! What a great benefit that is?
I am sorry that some of you have not experienced relief from fusion type surgeries.  
I am happy to report at 9.5 weeks post op I am much better than before surgery.
A brief recap:  I was in a car accident in Jan. 2008.  I had Modified Dorsal Arthroplasty in Aug. of 2008 to treat instability.  That may be a good first choice for some of you.  It works 80%, but failed for me.  I was told i needed a partial fusion but my age was a concern.  I waited until I could no longer grip a pen, ride my bike or put the littlest ammount of weight on my palm.  
July 2010 I had an STT fusion to treat rotary instability of my scaphoid, from SLL laxity.  I just came out of all casts (5 total), had my 3 pins surgically removed, and a CT scan to confirm total fusion and I am back to life!  I can ride my bike, without a splint and fully gripping on my wrist.  I started PT and I already have gained ROM and my grip strength has already jumped 25lbs.  I am not going to lie, there is pain and soreness, but much better than before and it is expected with recovery.  
Please feel free to ask me any questions.  I hope you all are doing well!
I was in a car accident in April 2010. I fractured my lunate. I have had physical therapy, 6 x-rays and 2 MRI's . I've been diagnosed with Kienbocks Disease. I have a pretty good lawyer, does anyone thing I am going to get a settlement to cover my surgeries and all my pain and suffering??
Hi teeroy77.  my first time of finding this forum.  i am 61, female. diagnosed collapsed wrist 3years ago after 10 years painful wrist and working as a nurse.  Extensive arthritis also set in so wrist replacement with plate and screws strongly suggested.  reading about all the post-op pain, i am really scared.  also because of the extensive degeneration/arthritis, i am worried.   i wonder if the plate will hold! i am managing myself at home. i just wonder if i should go ahead with this plate replacement or leave it. its just not knowing what the future may hold and i am getting older!   how are you now? thanks for your reply.
I had a 4 corner fusion about 3 years ago and had no problem  with it.  It took about a year to get through.  Then I had to have the pizaform bone removed to get teh feeling back in my ring finder and pinky.  I was able to get through that wihout much difficulty.  I loss fome mobility up and down but with work most of the side to side ROM was normal.  My only real problem with it is I am in much more pain than before and I drop most things I try to pick up.  So I am looking at a full wrist fusion.  It scares me to death, but I can't deal with the pain and not using my hand at all.  Good luck!
I am sorry you are experiencing pain.  What lead to the need for the first fusion surgery.  I am about 9 months post op and doing well. (Except for the thumb I injured in a snowboarding crash, haha)
Are you able to do some phyiscal therapy to decrease inflammation and work on the range of motion.  
Total fusion is a scary thing, but you have already lost some movement, losing the rest might not be that drastic especailly if it relieves the pain.  Four corner fusions normally take care of pain, I wonder if it needs a little revision if possible?
my fifth day since partial wrist fusion and waking up from surgery and the first two days were ruff still have swelling and black and blue fingers but pain getting much better doc says should get rid of at least 80 or 90 percent of pain lose some mobility but had lost some anyway with wrist being in bad shape
November 24th, 2009, I was involved in an on duty Police Motorcycle accident, to date I've had three surgeries, the first of which was 5 k-wires reassembly of a shattered wrist, sepsis and failure resulted in a proxi,al row carpectomy next, last was clipping the bone that intersected my thumb that kept causing severe pain, two ligaments were sewn in button form to provide a cushion. Now arthritis has set in the wrist and two Doc's have reccommended a full fusion of the the wrist. I'm retired now, because of the accident, I'm 60 but still very active. I'm having the surgery because the pain i live with every day sux. I have no strength in right hand at all. I'm told the fusion with reduce the pain by about 80%. I have no flexion or extension now so fusion is not going to make it any worse. I'm just looking to be stronger in the right hand, be able to write again, hammer again, ride my motorcycle again and get back to lifting weights. Looks like the recovery is about 6 months. Anybody got any suggestions. J. Reilly, Boerne, TX
I am having a partial wrist fusion on Monday, Nov. 21.  How is your recovery going?  It makes me nervous not knowing what to expect.  Everyone seems to have different experiences, but if you could share what you have endured since your surgery it would be helpful.  Thanks!
Though what I am sharing is not wrist related, if I understood, you mentioned you were having symptoms like MS.  You may want to get checked for Lymes disease.  It has underlying symptoms that appear like MS and can cause one to have fatique, pain and all kinds of issues.
There are some Lyme tests that are not as accurate so be sure and find the best one.  

Our daughter had Lymes and was cured but it took alot of hard work, seeing Natuaral Path doctors, diet & lifestyle change too until she was well enough to get back to a quality life.  It takes a lot of patience and time to get well from Lymes with alot of steps forward and backwards before making any sign of improvement.  If you are tested positive, I would encourage you to seek someone who has a lot of natural experience in dealing with it, drugs can really backfire as it did in our daughters case.  Change your diet to build your immune system and know that this road takes at least the same amount of time to heal as the time you were sick. If you hang in there, it can be done.
hi Nana... just curious as to how ur surgery went and if you are happy with your decision to undergo your wrist fusion... is the pain tolerable since surgery and have you noticed a decrease in pain compared to prior surgery?
thanks
I am currently deciding whether or not to have a wrist fusion
Your Dr is giving you good advice...have you tried strengthening the wrist.  I did all the possible execercises, and do what ever I can with it.  The pain is much less,  I can now excert pressusre onto the hand, like lifting myself, which I couldn't do at all at a time, my hand's been pushed off centre by the consultant after she beatifully realigned it , just because I'd insisted on a fastner for the loose end of the crepebandage oveer the backslap she'd applied.  My hand's function is thus limited as if it was never alighned.....disabled to a degree and still coping there I won't let them get me down.  Cheers Jeremy....
My dr. Decided to go with the ulnar shortening osteomy instead.  This would give me better range of motion than fusion.  If this does not work then fusion is my last chance.  If you do have wrist fusion or any surgery on your wrist, plan on your hand being totally useless for a couple of weeks.  My pain has been terrible, & for some reason the pain meds are keeping me awake.  It has been 1 month out, and i stiil have pain.  Good luck with your surgery.  FYI:  I have a half cast for 2 months.  
My son (19) broke his wrist dirt bike riding on November 27th.  ER orthopedic surgeon set his wrist and said he needs to see a hand specialist at a major medical center.  We went to USC to have the surgery by a specialist who told us he would use a plate and pins.  Surgery took place December 19th.  When the surgeon came out of surgery he told us his wrist was worse than anticipated and was like shattered glass, beyond repair.  He did the plate and screws but told us he would need a wrist fusion in about 5-6 weeks.  My son is in a cast now, and although I trust the surgeon at USC, I'm thinking I should do more research and find out if my son has other options or if it would harm him to wait to have the surgery.  Any advice out there?  Thank you.
19 is so young, that is a good thing he will adjust. A second opinion can't hurt if it can be done fast. Most likely it will calm your nerves and let you know this is the right way to proceed.
I was 22 when I injuries my wrist, a nurse and avid cyclist. The fusion has only bettered my life.
Best of luck!
Hi,  I can imagine how you all feel.  The same surgeon that alighned my wrist using local anaesthetic , de-align it the moment she lost patience with me, who insists on having a fastner to held the crepe bandage's loose end over a backslap she put on the wrist.  I used strenthening exercises and a deep tissue massager to get partial use of the wrist back.  Pain is no longer an issue, and I'm fairly happy.  I believe a wrist fuse itself with time if things aren't normal,  but then I'dn't been operated on.  Hope things will go well for you
I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 24.  I'm now 43 and still have never had a day off from pain or any type of remission.  I have just had to swim instead of sink and do all I can to live as normal a life as possible.  I think everyone's situation is different and it's always important to get as many doctor's opinions as you can afford or insurance will allow.  I had my left wrist fused 5 years ago and for me it was the best thing I ever did to help pain in at least one part of my body.  The reason I'm writing is to ask anyone out there if they have had problems with their fusion later down the road?  Right now the pain is soooooo bad in my wrist and obviously it's not the arthritis because I don't have a joint anymore but it feels like either the plate has shifted or something may be infected to be causing the pain.  I'm going to reach my doctor on tues. (because of New Year) but I thought I'd get this out there to see if anyone else has had anything similar to this happen to them.  Just hoping I don't have to have surgery to redo the first one.  Thanks for any help!!!
I am not quite 40 years old, mother of two and have no choice but work.  I had my first hand surgery in 2007 and had to have another in 7/2010.  They figured out that I am missing significant cartalidge on the first two carpal bones.  So... 1/2011 they did a PRC (Proximal Row Carpectomy). Thought that would work.  Pain level dropped since they removed the bones with osteoarthritis. Still have pain all the time.  Now after seeing another surgeon (My first one) I am now finding out that I should never had the PRC and should have gone with a 4 corner fustion. Now I am looking at a full fustion (no range of motion) with another surgery a year after to remove the plate.  UGH. I am so sorry to all of those that have the daily pain!!!  All I can say is do the reasearch before and not after. Wish I would have.
hi, i read your post, i totally understand, i went through all of that and finally had a dr beleive me, he did surgery on the elbow, twice, 3 shoulder surgerys, 3 wrist surgerys, as of right now, they said everything is fine, but however, my elbow, shoulder and wrist still swell, , numb, but i did some checking online and found out , some things and decided to try it, (casting  my arm, wrist, and half way up towards the shoulder, and you know what, i feel 100 percent better, i sleep now, and read this will mob your arm, and it does work.
Hello everyone.  Just looking for some advice.  I had a downhill bike accident last year which shattered my non-dominant right wrist in ten pieces through the joint. They plated and 8 screws the distal radius fracture then I flew home a week later.  2months later, pain++ and decreased ROM. Second surgery to cut off bone fragments which had attached to carpals and "clean out".  Now I have full supine range but only 40% extension/flexion. Pain ++ over scapoid/lunate/RADIUS.  Doc suggesting partial fusion, but never even mentioned PRC or 4-corner fusion w/ scaphoid removal.  Any suggestions?? I've spend hours reading all your wonderful posts and just wish I knew the right decision to make!
The right decision is totally up to you and your doctor. I had pain over my scaphoid lunate, and radius. They did a partial STT fusion on me with a radial styloidectomy. I'm so much better now. My surgeon told me that a four corner fusion is always a second option down the road, knowing how active I am (cycling, and working as a nurse) an STT fusion was the best option as I gained rom and got rid of the pain.
Good luck!!
I am so sad that I am facing the possibility of having my dominant hand wrist bones fused.  Long story but due to a really bad medical decision I was misdiagnosed with cellulitis when actually I had osteomyelitis.  The damage to my wrist bones was severe...if you look at an x ray you will not see any cartilage in between my wrist bones.  My entire right arm and shoulder are weak.  I have become ambidextrous.  My right hand is not in pain unless I strain it or do too much.  However I know that it is deteriorating.  Last year I went to two different orthopedic surgeons.  The first one wanted to immediately perform a full wrist fusion.  The second one said ONLY to do that as a last resort!  I am almost 48 and very worried this is where I am heading.  
Hi biker.....sorry to hear about your wrist.  I also have a extensive damage to my left wrist.  I fell from a 30 ft roof 4 years ago and landed on my leg and hand .... Shattered my distal radius into dust.  I haven't yet decided what to do with it yet... But I did have my ankle fused ( it had a similar break as my wrist if not worse) I am happy with my decision to fuse the ankle, as it has helped somewhat reduce my constant pain.  I am currently waiting to see a wrist specialist , hopefully in the next few weeks.  I am considering fusing my wrist..... Only because I want to get back into surfing again and the pain from paddling out is rather annoying, to put it mildly.  I would have to assume that downhill biking would have the same aggravating effect on a smashed wrist.  I will keep you posted once I talk to my specialist and let you know what he recommends.  Have you decided what you are going to do with your wrist yet? Please keep me posted as I am trying to research aswell......ps I'm a 30 year old previously active male.... Eager to get off the sidelines asap... Stay positive.
Going to have a fusion in my right wrist on the 18th May due to my RA getting worse.  My surgeon the best in Scotland would NOT do this procedure unless he thought it a must.  Yes I am going to lose some mobility but through a postive outlook of mind and knowing that it has to be done before I lose all mobility in my hand helps a lot.  Yes you may not be able to do some of the stuff you did before but I think I have both my hands and feet in sort of working order so I shouldn't complain.  Lads are coming home from overseas with limbs missing and they are being positive.  Sometimes life deals us rubbish and you just gotta have a positive state of mind and learn to adapt!
Had a dirt bike crash 11 years ago broke left femur right tibia plateau right wrist legs have been repair after 9 surgeries mostly from non-unions had 2 surgeries on right wrist also from non unions after dealing with pain for a couple of years and start to loss function of the wrist had it checked by the doctor he discovered I had Avascular necrosis  The options giving to me where total fusion or 4 point fusion well I opted for what I thought was the lesser of the to evils had the operation 3 months ago was one of the most painful surgeries I've had other then the femur. started PT 2 months after surgery and was checked and released to go back to work 2 weeks ago and have had server pain to this date since the surgery figuring it would take some time to go away. Talking with my physical therapist he thought this was a little unusual to have this much pain this far into my recovery he decided to get me in for another check up ,the doctor discovered 2 of the 3 screws had backed out and may have injured the cartilage in my wrist and I may need a full fusion needless to say I am very bummed to have to go through this so soon after the
last surgery I am scheduled to go in in 2 weeks. Just curious if anyone has had issues with screws backing out into a joint like that.No one should have to live life in pain.
Hey I wanted to find out how your wrist was doing after the surgery in 2009.  I'm being offered the choice of either PRC or 4-corner fusion, or total fusion.     (Just took my son on surf trip to Uluwatu last summer, couldn't do anything because of the wrist pain)  I wanted to know if you can still surf and do everything else?   I'm in Ojai/Ventura, would love to see your wrist if you'd be willing to show me in person?   I'm really nervous about this whole thing.    
Uriah,
I aquired Kienbocks in 1991. stage three when i finally saw a doctor. over a 3 1/2 year time span i had a radio ostiodme, that didn't reduce the pain, then finally a proximal row carpectime. The last surgery worked pretty well concidering the range of motion and reduced pain. The pain now has gotten to the point where I'm concering a wrist fusion on my right wrist. I love riding motorcycles and the wrist just hurts to bad when I take long rides in the mountain twisties.
I had a friend who's son had Kienbocks, the doctors emobilized it for awhile and now he has now problems.
good look with your decision.
hey guys and gals I broke my wrist at work extreme pain I am in Oil and Gas industry soI use my hands alot. Ortho surgeon recomending carpectomy surgery. he talks as if its not a big deal wants to try that first rather than a wrist fusion due to my age and industry. from reading here sounds like most of yours are alot worse but has anyone had this done oh it shattered  and killed the blood supply to the luna. What is realistic time frame for going back to work? How bad is the surgery he said its outpatient. ?? any help would be great thanks
Kevin
5 weeks 2 days and all seems ok . I have some pain for the rubbing of my cast and some swollen fingers. I see the doctor or the surgeon for the first time tomorrow so we'll find out what exactly or how things are going
Hi Killroy. My youngest sister has been living with wide spread nerve pain for at least 8 years now, and all screens for diseases were negative. She saw several specialists. Final conclusion: Non-specified connective tissue disorder. In otherwords.... they don't know. She gets pretty good relief from taking anti-seizure meds, which are great for nerve pain. I know, cuz I've had to use them for my arthritis. Gabapentin; or Kepra, those come to mind. There's others, too. They are expensive, so hope you have good insurance.
Full wrist fusion for me is 12 week recovery before any weight therapy is introduced and then only light, starting at 5 lbs. I am in week 8 of post surgery and only allowed to lift a water bottle. Every doctor is different but realistically, I do not seeing you back in the O&G field for 4 to 6 months.
Sorry to hear of your mishap with the first surgery, Why are they removing the pate? I had full fusion surgery 2 months ago and they are not removing the plate, or have I heard of this before unless there is a "rejection' issue.
I had a wrist arthroscopy 4 weeks ago and the surgeon found shredded ligaments. ext appointment in 1 month but experiencing more pain than before the arthroscopy. Will I need a wrist fusion to diminish the pain? Any other options?
Had scaphoid ligament repair in nov 2011, helped some but intense pain came back. Severe arthitis at scaphoid area. Had stt fusion done in marxh of this year, some tenderness but otherwise was doing great...had kids at beach first week of july and my 4y/o little girl jumped and grabbed my hand. Pain was nearly instant and worsened over past three weeks (already had surgical followup for this past the thursday) explained to doc and did xray...I have a fracture of the fusion. In a fracture splint for the next month then back for check up...anyone have any ideas what I should expect??
I am now three years post STT fusion. I am very active, bike riding, snowboarding, strength training. My wrist is awesome. A fracture along the fusion line is more common in the beggining. I have fallen several times on my fused wrist and it has all checked out okay. Heal up from the fracture and I am sure you will love your new wrist. It has been great for me.

This thread has great information! I also have a collapsed wrist from multiple sports injuries over the years. My scapholunate ligament is torn. I figured the doctor could just reattach the ligament, but I was shocked when he said the only thing they could do was a wrist fusion. I'm 34 years old and very active, but I quit softball and basketball because of pain, and even playing my guitar is tough now. The surgeon advised me to wait on surgery because of my age and activity level, so that's the plan for now. It sounds like my condition will continue to get worse and when I can no longer stand the pain, I'll get the surgery. It ***** that we're all here in this situation, but it helps to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks again for all your posts,
Greg
Hi, I have this same injury from falling off a bicycle. I chose to live with the pain because fusion of the wrist turns it into a one way joint (down or up) all rotation of the wrist is lost. There will be a cure some day but it is not available to us yet. Do hand strengthening exercises and wait for the more reasonable cure to surface. Dr Roger R Dodds
Just found this site yesterday and am very greatful for the info.  I am a 44 year old with what I have thought was a "problem" wrist for years.  I am a former professional motocross racer so exactly when I may have injured it, or even how many times, is unknown to me.  For the past 15 months I have been getting injections every 8 weeks.  Dr finally told me no more, it was time to fix it.  Very reputable Dr.  I go in two weeks to have a lot of work done.  Getting both my CMC and ST joints cleaned up, also have a torn scapholunate lig the extent of which is unknpown and some degree of scaphoid degeneration.  Whether he can repair the ligament will depend on the extent of the damage to the scaphoid.  If it is too serious, they will perform the four-corner fusion.  I am really worried about the loss of motion.  I still ride motorcycles with my 9 year old son and am scared that it will come to an end.  Appreciate all your experiences.
I am a 62 yr. old woman who has lived a hard life of farming, ranching, horse breaking etc. Running 3 properties for my family, single handed( sorry about the odd reff:) I hurt both my wrists really badly in my early 30's. The pain progressively got worst over the next 20 yrs...to a point where I could not even roll windows in car down, turn sausages on a grill, brush my hair. Xrays showed extreme arthritis with very little undamaged cartilage on all the small bones in my hand. Swallowing pain killers was a daily issue I hated. My PARTICIAL wrist fusion has been a life and sanity saver. I had my L (dominant hand) done first and was so relieved from the dreadful pain that I had the RIGHT wrist done last year. It has been brilliant. Yes, I still get a painful reminder in my thumb/wrist joint but generally it has changed my life . I have strength, good grip and mostly no pain. Remember, I have only had partial fusions so have only lost a degree of wrist flection which is just fine by me. I can again resume my heavy workload and don't require pain relief any more. Thumbs up for Partial Fusions!!
I'm a 30 yr old woman and had a 4-corner fusion on my left hand 8 months ago (4th surgery after rupturing scapho-lunate ligament snowboarding 13 years ago) and I'm finding it more painful in the wrist now than before the surgery. My wrist clicks and 'clunks' when I move it up and down and rotate it palm up and palm down, has anyone else with a partial fusion experienced this? I'm considering a full fusion, not sure if I'm being too hasty, I was hoping for a much bigger improvement in pain levels (not having to take pain relief every day). Has anyone had a partial fusion that hasn't worked as expected? Thanks
How is your wrist fusion doing years later?? Rick
I had a scapholunate reconstruction surgery 14 months ago and it has completely failed, I am in so much more pain then I was before the surgery not only that, it has affected my neck because I have herniated discs and they didn't take precautions during surgery to protect my neck. The expert opinion I recently got was that a total wrist fusion surgery should have been done instead so that is what I am facing now. I am devastated because that was such a painful experience. I am glad I'm reading all of the comments for others that have had this done, it gives me hope. I should have gotten more than 2 opinions before I proceeded with the first wrist surgery, surgeons don't seem to think about their patients as individuals so we have to be our own advocates and make sure all of our questions are answered even if we feel like we're being whiners.
I have a similar question- what is life like after surgery. Obviously this is not quick fix but is meant to be the main option to relieve pain.

I'm 19 years old, I've had 4 years of wrist pain since breaking the capitate (middle bone) in my hand/wrist. The bottom half of the bone has dissolved from the fracture line. I've had a nerve removed in my arm to relieve the pain in June 2012 but this was unsuccessful. Movement is good but pain is getting unbearable, especially as I'm a student (lots of typing) and a swimming teacher (hands-on in the water) and swim as a part of keeping a healthy lifestyle.

A list of things is starting to build up of things that I am almost not able to do at all including: swimming, lifting, twisting lids of things etc, typing, driving and general everyday things you need two fully functioning hands to do.

I can wait, however other than the pain, the rest of the bone may dissolve too resulting in the collapse of the wrist which needs surgery where a rod goes through the entire hand to stabilise it

The fusion operation would hopefully relieve pain- the main issue, however restricting motion that I still currently have is worrying me. Any advice on things you can't do after this surgery? Will I be able to drive, swim, teach etc...
I am in the same boat as most people here crushed my right hand/wrist 8 years ago went to several doctors over that span said something not right always checked xrays etc always said it was nothing finally last year got referred to ortho turns out have stage 4 Kleinbocks. Have had orthoscopy last set of xrays ct scan shows too far gone for anything but full fusion. So here I sit 28 years old, a mechanic with the choice of not using wrist due to pain or fuse which will limit what I do and a career change is not an option
Hello, sorry to hear of your issues with your hand. I am 56 and underwent full wrist fusion in February of 2013 on my left wrist and am doing great. No more pain and I am working out, swimming and back to as normal as an unbending wrist can be. It takes some getting used to, not being able to bend your wrist, but am pain free in this hand and so far all is as described.
I would recommend you ensure you have a reputable surgeon and check their references. Also, follow the rehab exercises and follow the timeline to recovery, don't rush it.
I am experiencing issues with my right hand and will eventually have to get this hand fused as well, but will not hesitate when the pain becomes unbearable.
Good luck, keep the forum posted.
Sorry to hear about your son, but I would recommend getting another opinion from another hand surgeon specialist, preferably one that is the chief of hand surgery.
Yes I had my left wrist done almost a year ago I hate it, not only did I lose motion (50%) but the pain is worst.
Sorry to hear of your wrist. Message Phill614, I believe he is an aircraft mechanic that had a full wrist fusion. He can shed some light on any limitations after the surgery.
just spoke to phill he is a great help good to know there are people out there still working and living life, when you first hear the news you think that you will no longer be able to function. have a CT scan Monday then follow up Wednesday and another cordozone shot to help with the pain
I had my left wrist fusion surgery 2 weeks ago.  Bandages off and hard cast on yesterday.  I had surgery 13 months ago and due to arthritis a fusion was my best option.  I feel better today than I did the day I went in for surgery just 2 weeks ago.  My biggest concern is the ability to play golf. I really dont care if I ever play again I just want to live without constant pain.
thanks for the update! glad procedure went well, keep updating us. I will know on Thursday the date for my procedure  
So got the results not good but what expected the Lunate is collapsed and can see where breaking up. So full fusion here I come spoke to ortho and will be within 6 months need 2 weeks off work. she will be doing a Proximal row carpectomy and using those bones for the graft. so that's the update looking forward to being pain free and adapting to what will come my way
Good luck with your surgery. Keep everyone posted with your progress.
Great news on your progress so far. I am right handed and had full wrist fusion on my left hand in February 2013. I was playing golf again in late July once my surgeon released me to full activities. Other than having to adjust my swing, no problems with the ability to play. Take it slow and follow your surgeons timetable and you should be back on the course. Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on your progress.
Last night I was watching the AT&T Pro-Am from Pebble Beach and just thinking how terrific it would be to play again....  You made my day.

Last Saturday morning I was able to put deodorant on, using my left hand, without pain for the first time since November 3, 2012.
Just a thought for your upcoming surgery....

I had reconstructive shoulder surgery this past summer and used a Polar Care 300 cold therapy unit.  I used it for my wrist post surgery.  Probably 18 hours a day for the first week.  Where there is swelling there is pain.  I really think this helped immensely.  I borrowed it from a friend.  People that have had knee or shoulder procedures may have one (or eBay).

Best of luck.
Great news, follow the surgeons timeline and continue to feel better.
I like that idea, does it have a wrist pad specifically? they only problem I can forsee is trying to get here in Canada because ebay will kill me in shipping
so July 7th the big day, excited to be pain free, not exited for surgery or recovery
Good news Osmossis, best of luck and keep us posted when you go in and after the surgery. The wait will be hard.
spoke to local Breg Rep I can get the polar care unit with wrist attachment for $375 in your opinion is it worth it? as my benefits do not cover the unit
So here Sit another sleepless light with pain sometimes during the day wo debit sugery right thing to do then thease night solidify my reason for it