Elemental or total calcium 1200mg. daily?

I'm confused.  I have osteoporosis and have been taking 600 mg Calcium Citrate twice a day.  I thought I was getting 1200 mg calcium daily but now I'm not so sure if all is getting absorbed or just a portion.  I've read that only 20 % of Calcium Citrate is actually absorbed as elemental calcium so that means I'm getting much less. What  calcium dose have you been recommended to take to treat your osteoporosis?
Hi there!

The absorption of calcium varies with various factors such as age, vitamin D level, presence/ absence of other food components etc. Calcium citrate is about 20% calcium by weight i.e. elemental calcium. The advised daily requirement is the actual amount that should be taken with food and not the amount that is actually absorbed. 600 mg calcium citrate would contain 120 mg elemental calcium. The recommended amount of elemental calcium in osteoporosis is 1200-2400 mg in 2-4 divided doses.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!