Osteoporosis Community
Alendronate sodium

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Alendronate sodium

How long before you know results if this medication is working? What is the procedure to find out that this medication is doing its job? How long will I have to be on this stuff?
Any answers? Please.
There are no simple answers to your questions.

Since you were born, up to this day, your bones are constantly being produced and 'consumed'. Cells that produce new bone are called osteoblasts, cells that 'consume' old bone are called osteoclasts, and they are kept in perfect balance by the body. In some people, for some reason, the osteoblasts start producing less new bone, while osteoclasts keep their rate of resorption unchanged. That inevitably leads to lower bone density.

Alendronic acid that you're taking - what it does is - it blocks the action of osteoclasts. It eludes me why aren't we stimulating the osteoblasts instead of blocking the osteoclasts...

Sorry, that's all the help I could offer.
Thanks at least it is one answer but I will check with my doctor for more results. Thanks again.