Can bisphosphonates cause upper gastric cancer
My Mother was on Fosamax for 15 years.  Even though her bone density tests were normal, her doctor told her to stay on the drug.  When he retired, I spoke to her new doctor about stopping Fosamax, as I've read that one should not be on it for more than five years.  The doctor agreed and told my Mother she could stop.  About a year later, she was diagnosed with upper gastric cancer.  I say upper gastric because originally the doctors thought her esophagus was involved, but when the surgeon went in to perform the partial gastrectomy, he said her esophagus was not involved so he didn't have to insert a feeding tube as he had originally planned.  I've read conflicting reports as to the risks of esophageal cancer from taking bisphosphonates.  Is it possible that taking the Fosamax for so very long could have had a direct cause of her upper gastric cancer?  She had had an endoscopy approximately three years prior and the doctor said she had some inflammation but it wasn't serious and prescribed an antacid.  Thank you.
Hi there!

Though a few studies indicate that fosamax may increase the risk of upper GI cancer, the actual risk is not very high and it is difficult to say if the condition could be linked to the medication; though it was a prudent step to stop the medication.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!
my mother took boneva sp? and had lung cancer high up at the esophagus.. she was a smoker but had quit years before.
A friend of mine developed throat sores from Bisphosphonates.

hsum4