Osteoporosis Community
Diagnosed with Osteo

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Diagnosed with Osteo

I had a bone scan 3 years ago and I was borderline, ostepena, its now gone over the line in my spine. My hips are fine good in fact, so thats a relief.

My doctor wants me on the meds for Osteo cant remember the name you take one a week. I know my mum started these recently and they made her stomach really bad and she has had to stop taking them.

I have read some bad things about this stuff, and I do suffer with GI problems with my health issues...

Does anyone just use diet to keep it at bay.

I think i did well for 3 years as the line has only just gone over to osteo...and I am sure i could send it backwards if I sorted out something more in my diet.

I hate taking tablets....

Any advice?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Having osteopenia may indeed mean that  there is a greater risk of osteoporosis. Risk factors such as age, being small and thin, having a family history of osteoporosis, taking certain medicines,or  being a white or Asian woman. Management or intake of prescription medication will depend  on the result of the bone mineral density test, symptoms and risk factors present. It is best that you check with your doctor for proper evaluation. Eating a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, regular exercise not smoking and having a healthy lifestyle, may help. Take care and do keep us posted.