Osteoporosis Community
Left thigh pain.

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Left thigh pain.

In 2005 at the age of 45 I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis of the spine and Osteopenia of both femurs.  My Doctor put me on Fosimax which I took weekly without any problems.  A few months ago I started experiencing pain in my right thigh, but didn't think much of it.  Recently I had a my biannual DEXA scan and it came back saying I had a BMI decrease of 3.9%  in the right femur and decrease of 7.0% in the left femur.  Now I'm wondering/worried if the pain in the left thigh is because of the decrease in BMI.  I know that extended Fosimax use could possible cause femur fractures...Should I be worried,  could the pain in my thigh be a warning sign that it might fracture?  After my recent scan, I  decided to stop taking  Fosimax.  I have made an apt. to see and Endocrinologist, since my Primary isn't taking my Osteoporosis seriously.  
Thanks, Carol  
Hey Carol!

Well, it would be difficult to comment on what is causing the pain in the leg without a detailed clinic al evaluation. Aside decreased BMD and associated fractures, other causes such as vascular issues, neuro-muscular causes, injuries etc may also need to be looked into. It might be a good idea to get this evaluated by an orthopedician and an endocrinologist for an accurate diagnosis. After a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!