Osteoporosis is no joke! Need help w/spinal fractures
I am currenly 5 weeks into two stress fractures in my lumbar spine from osteoporosis.  I know it is due to Crohn's disease for  30 years - steriods and Remicade for years & to top it off, thyroid issues...No Crohn's symptoms currently, but paying the price with the osteoporosis.  Currently  unable to work.  I have been an athlete all of my life (57) and find this pain quite frustrating/debilitating/depressing.  I know that I need to do weight bearing exercise to build bone, but after walking for 10-15 minujtes or even being upright for any length of time, I am miserable.  Taking pain meds; can't take the NSAIDS (although I occassionally take some naproxyn in the a.m. if I'm having a big day).  Talking the bone builders, calcium, vit D, etc.  Is it just an incredibly slow process?   Also dealing with scoliosis related sciatica from L5. Have had 1 transforaminal injection & scheduled for another in 2 weeks.  I am a healthcare professional and believe that I am receiving excellent treatment - just frustrated by the lack of progress & ongoing need for pain meds. (only taking as directed)  What kinds of exercize can I do?  How about swimming?  Any other tip or suggestions?
Hello!

Since the reason for osteoporosis is multi-factorial and diagnosis usually delayed, treatment becomes difficult and frustrating.

The principle objectives of treatment are alleviation of pain and prevention of fractures. The treatment can be divided into medical and orthopaedic.

High protein diet, calcium supplementation, Vitamin D and androgens are under medical treatment.

Orthopaedic treatment consists of weight bearing exercises which are a major stimulus for bone formation.

Take care!