Osteoporosis Community
Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Osteoporosis

My wife had an accident in 2008 where she fell out of a School Mini-Bus and broke her knee, on initial admission to A + E she was diagnosed with a Torn Muscle (no x-ray), on follow up appointment 10 days later she was x-rayed and finally diagnosed with a split down the Lateral Condyle of 9cm.

She had a Decsa Scan in December 2009 and have only just been told that she has Osteopenia.

Recently she has suffered back pain and had an x-ray, she has now been told that she has a wedge fracture of L2, letter to the house from Doctors today saying that the wedge fracture is now due to her having Osteporosis, and she is to start taking medication  - Alendronic Acid Tablets

The thing we would like to know is, would my wife have been able to prevent Osteoporosis if she would have had the result of the Decsa scan sooner?
Hello Dirkydel,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post....but I am very sorry to hear about your wife's condition.

As you may know there are no physicians on our forum. The lateral condyle is one of the two projections on the lower extremity of femur and is not a usual site of fracture. In my opinion this may have been an early indication of osteoporosis.

You've asked a good question....it's one I cannot answer with any certainty. Osteopenia is commonly seen in people over age 50 especially females that have lower than average bone density but do not have osteoporosis. The diagnostic difference between osteopenia and osteoporosis is the measure of bone mineral density.

Osteopenia and osteoporosis are not inevitable parts of the aging process. It may surprise
you that many experts believe that treating osteopenia with medications would not be cost-effective. So life style changes are normally recommended. Regular physical activity that includes weight bearing exercises, such as low-impact aerobics, jogging, and walking to help minimize bone loss. Physicians often suggest cutting back on acid forming foods (meat, fish, grains, legumes, nuts, soda pop, caffeine ) and increase alkaline foods (vegetables, fruit, dairy). They also advise an increase in ones dietary intake of Calcium, Vitamin D and Magnesium from your food. Vitamin D supplements are often suggested.

If your body becomes too acid, it is in a state of acidosis, it needs to neutralize some of its acid. They body does this by taking calcium from the bones and teeth and circulating it into the body. This balances out your body and restores it to its natural, more alkaline, state.

These is a long answer to get to my opinion. I just waned you to understand the terms and conditions a bit better before I say..... I really doubt a few months or even a year would have made any huge difference. Bone health is a long term process that takes time....more than a few months.    

I wish you and your wife the very best. Please let us know how she is doing. I will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck

Osteoporosis can really slow an active lifestyle. One in four Canadian women over the age of 50 have osteoporosis.  While it can strike at any age and at any time, it’s most common after menopause.   The good news is you may be able to take action now to strengthen your bones

I'm here on the behalf of Novartis and their new Osteoporosis Awareness campaign, On The Go Women. On The Go Women aims to educate women about the disease and stresses the importance of managing the condition with treatment and a healthy lifestyle. There are many factors that determine whether a woman is at risk of Osteoporosis. We’ve developed a risk assessment tool for you to use and share here:
http://ycin.net/ct.php?ctaid=957
At that link you’ll also find a Personalized Conversation Starter – to use when discussing Osteoporosis with a doctor.

These tools are invaluable health resources for any women – even if they aren’t at a high risk for Osteoporosis themselves, they can be shared with mothers, sisters and friends who are. We’ve also collected some recipes for Osteoporosis-fighting foods that might be of interest as well!