Osteoporosis Community
Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Osteoporosis

I am 66 years old male weighing around 73 Kgs.  I am under treatment for Osteoporosis for over 2 years and prescribed Osteophos 70 weekly and Calicium 1000 mg per day combined with Vitamin D3.  The condition is on the decline instead of improvement.  I am taking around 700 mls milk per day and eating vegetarian diet.

I did not take milk and milk products for many years, as I was under treatment for IBS.  I am not presently taking any medicine for this complaint and managing it with diet control.  The thyroid test is normal.

What should I do to reverse the decline in BMD?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, this is a common concern that people with osteoporosis ask. There are many issues that need to be addressed. This includes taking the medication properly, the right supplements, work up for additional causes of disease and careful evaluation of the bone density. Alderonade must be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, without any other medications or food. Calcium and vitamin D supplements should be of good quality brand. A full workup should be performed on anyone who does not respond well to medications. This includes a full discussion of the patient's history, physical as well as laboratory workup. Finally bone scans should be read by experienced physicians by looking at the pictures of the scan and not by just reading the report. I hope this helps.