Osteoporosis Community
Very much in pain

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Very much in pain

Since there was no forum for post hip replacements, I though the osteoporosis forum may be my next best place.  Here the scoop.  Im a 53 yr old female, not overweight. I do have osteoporosis and my Dr. has had me on 70 mg of Fosamax for 5 years now.  Back in 09 I took a fall and broke my left Femur bone.  I had to have a total hip replacement.  All went well until about six months after the surgery.  I had to have shots of cortizone every 4-6 because of the nagging pain in my bursa area.  Okay, so my Dr. doesnt want to give me anymore injections because he says it can work against the Fosamax and thin the bones even more.  About a week ago I started having really bad pain in my groin area, on my hip/lower back area and down my thigh bone.  On top of the pain my left thigh is numb.  Some people told me I could have a pinched nerve in my lower back and some think it could be the hip.  Doe you have any suggestions?  And yes, Im going to see my Dr. next week.  Thank you!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your discomfort. A pinched nerve at the bank/ spinal level or lower down is a good possibility. Other likely possibilities include injuries, degeneration, inflammation, hardware issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by your orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Read about FOSAMAX side effects!   I'm going to send you a website -
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/pmh0000018/#a601011-sideEffects