Osteoporosis Community
Vitamin D and Calcium?
About This Community:

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vitamin D and Calcium?

I have chronic muscle problems, I took high D doses, and then had relief. Now i'm toxic and have to stop per my blood test. I'm wondering if the d was only maximizing the absorption of calcium I had just increased along with it, so I only got real relief from better calcium levels in my body. Can anyone discuss this with me or comment on their understanding or the vitamins relationship? Is tingling feet, tinnitis, numbness in jaw area that comes and goes really a mild version of osteopenia? Maybe I was wrong and it's all about calcium in my situation and I'm struggling to absorb it?
Related Discussions
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Vitmin D works by increasing the calcium absorption in the intestine and promoting bone mineralization. It also affects some neuromuscular reactions, independent of the calcium levels. Both hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium) and hypervitaminosis D (increased Vitamin D) could occur independent of each other, though hypercalcemia is a common manifestation of hypervitaminosis D. However hypervitaminosis D can also occur with increased vitamin D supplements, with or without ‘more than necessary’ calcium intake (though increased calcium intake can further aggravate the symptoms). ‘Tingling feet, tinnitis, numbness in jaw’ could be related to altered calcium levels in blood (with or without manifest osteopenia). However there are other established causes that could present similarly infections, inflammations, such as vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes, hypothyroidism, vascular issues etc. These is best evaluated by your doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Osteoporosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703