Osteoporosis Community
crush fractures of spine with osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

I have had a crush fracture in my  mid thorasic spine and possible pars defect in lower lumbar area due to a calcium defecincy and osteoporosis.I am concerned about future problems and anyone can tell me what happens when they become unstable with these problems.Thanks anyone and keep well.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there! Osteoporosis causes decreased bone density making the bones very fragile and resulting in frequent fractures. For midthoracaic spine fracture the common treatment involves pain killers for pain relief, immobilization and bracing. Newer nonsurgical methods like vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty are done nowadays in vertebral compression fractures. For Pars defect in lumbar area immobilization and bracing are the treatments. During recovery exercises to regain stability of the spine should be performed under the guidance of a trained physiotherapist. With appropriate treatment, most minor stress fractures show bony union by 6 to 12 weeks. Complete recovery may take 2-3 months depending on the type of fracture. The chances of complications are very less with proper care. You also need to discuss with your orthopaedician the treatment for osteoporosis. Lifestyle changes, calcium supplements and vitamin D supplementation will help. Take care and good luck.