Osteoporosis Community
just got my bone scan back

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

just got my bone scan back

Just got my bone scan and here are the results but I want to explain my history first.
I have a history of DJD/DDD and have had many steroid injections. I am sure this is the cause of the damage to my bones.
I am getting Botox injections for hip pain related to the DDD/DJD.
Will that do any damage?
Results
L1-4 T scour of -2.6 indicating osteoporosis
Left hip T score of 2.8 indicating osteoporosis
Right hip T score of 3.1 indicating osteoporosis
I was on a viatmin D regime but developed headaches and I asked to be taken off of them. My current vit d levels are up to what they should be. 5.1 I think.
My doctor recommends Oscal. Is that the same as Vit d?
Comments would be appreciated. Thanks
How serious is this situation? Doctor prescribed Fosomax which I should be getting any day now. What do I need to be aware of? Appreciate guidance.
Hi there!

Os-cal has both calcium and vitamin D and would help in faster recovery. Fosamax is alendronate/ bisphosphonate and works on the bone receptors in conjunction with calcium and vitamin D and would be recommended to improve bone density. Some of the side effects of the medication that one would need to be aware of include GI inflammation such as gastritis, osteonecrosis, mild reduction in renal function etc.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I have GERD and Acid Reflux so I cannot take Fosamax or Boniva.  Dr. put me on Evista - which I can't take either now.

Going to try Vitamin K2 and D3 along with my Calcium.  Exercise is the most important... so I'm told.  But I couldn't exercise while I was sick from the side effects of the drugs!