Ostomy Community
Allergic to the bags!!! HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Allergic to the bags!!! HELP!!!

I am asking for help for my Mother-in-law, she has had colon cancer and we are having trouble with the bag causing her a rash.  I have read several posts about the Stomadhesive Powder and the barriers, we have not tried those yet.  Her Stoma is actually located at her waistline, where the stomach makes a crease when she sits, kinda awkward spot.  We have tried a couple of different bags with both causing painful bleeding irritation.  For now she is simply applying 4" X 4" gauze and paper tape.  She is located in a very small country community and we don't have resources for information from local Doctors that specialize in Ostomy care.  We basically need a good starting point recommendation as far as best brand for allergies and the use of barriers.  Thanks for any and all help in advance!!!
Randall  
It sounds as if her stoma, the red bud that is the intestine pulled through the skin is in a bad place, a skin fold.  it is always nice to have the stoma on a flat surface but not always possible.  It could be yeast...most often it is.  Is it an ileostomy or a colostomy?  it makes a big difference.
It is tricky to treat a rash around a stoma as the puch will not stick to powders and ointments.  In severe cases, a doctor will put a person on a systemic medication like diflucan but it is possible to treat locally but sprinkling Nystatin powder on the rash then dabbing it with a wet cloth or tissue to form a crust.  it is called the crusting technique.  allow it to dry before applying the pouch
Also, it sounds as if the wafer you are using may not be optimal and you have to fix the source of the leak as the moisture from leaking may be causing the rash.  Convexity is one option and an ostomy belt is another along with or without a convex wafer to add support at 3:00 and 9:00.

I hope all is well