Ostomy Community
BM collects on wafer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

BM collects on wafer

My husband has had his pouch for 5 mos and it is doing ok except BM collects  at the top inside of the wafer and makes the filter clog up very quickly. Is there some kind of oil that when applied to that part of wafer that would help bm to slide down in bag quicker. The filter clogs up sooner when this happens.
You can use gels and they are available thru your ostomy supplier. Or he may have to be more attentive with adjusting the contents. May also want to try a one piece.

Good luck
Debra

Good luck
Debra
thank you so much
Try Adapt lubricating deodorant. And check out the newsletter from Hollister called SecureStart. Ironically your question was asked by someone else. Im developing a website for ostomy patients which will provide some real answers which are difficult to find.

Please get in touch with me for any future questions.  DEBRA
My ET Nurse suggested spraying the inside of the bag with Pam!  Helps stool to slide down and not collect on the top or the inside.  Works!  I tried the deodorants and they don't work very well.  Make sure to use water bottles to rinse out the bag, too- this will keep things clean.  You will need to flush 2-3 times to get it clean, but after a few times, it will be completely clean.  
Pam may decrease the effectiveness of the wear time of pouch, and may cause leaking and or a crack.  It is not recommended to use anything other than something made for a pouch.  Please contact your supplier.  If its cost, most cities have "ostomy closets" where those folks who no longer need their ostomy supplies donate them too. They may have some for you to try. Most of these come in little packets.
Everyone makes them (Coloplast, Hollister, Convatec) just like a Ford, Buick and Chevy...hahahaha.
If this really confused you grab DEBRA and follow her website. Is it up?