Ostomy Community
Colostomy reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Colostomy reversal

My mother had a punctured colonoscopy two years ago.  She has septics and was hospitalized for over 8 weeks. Three of which were in ICU.  She is now 86 years old and has found a surgeon who is going to perform the reversal. I am very concerned  and am scared that she will not survive.  The surgeon who performed the original surgery was not anxious to reverse it because he knew how ill she was. She had been put on a respirator twice and had difficulty with the wound healing.  She required much wound care and ended up in a rehabilitation facility for six weeks after the hospital.  I've read much about the after effects of a reversal.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Sheri