Ostomy Community
Elimination after ileostomy reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Elimination after ileostomy reversal

I had an ileostomy reversal six days ago and have had very loose bowel movements for several days, and then yesterday, there were severe spasms of the colon as if I had a large movement, and then, nothing. These spasms were very painful and I went to the emergency room where they thought it was constipation, but, there was very little stool high in the colon, so they opted not to do an enema, but sent me home. Well, on the way home, the stools burst forth in the form of the same thickness which was present during ileostomy, but, at least, there was movement. The sigmoid section of colon was removed because of severe diverticulitis. I am wondering why there are spasms when there is nothing moving until hours later? Thanks folks.
I have just had an ileostomy two weeks ago after suffering from Ulcerative colitis whixh did not respond to steriods. It is non reversible, however, I alreaady feel like I have my life back as I was unable to leave the house a lot of days out of the last 2 months. However, my problem is that I still managed to have a normal bowel movement a couple of times which seems weird. Did anyone else have this post surgery? Nurse wasnt very convincing how normal this was.
Thank you for your response. I must tell you that there are times that I wish I still had the ileostomy pouch,  which was oh so controllable. I had movements from the rectum, though small, and  the ostomy nurse said that the rectum continues to produce mucus, etc. for a time after the ileostomy. I must say that I adjusted very well to the ileostomy and was amazed that the process was so high-tech with different sizes for different situations and simple but very effective closing clips. Oh, those clips were so durable and so much depended on them. Medical research really pays off, though, my nurse said that many of the bells and whistles were designed by ostomy patients themselves. This makes sense. I wish you the best. Dixie