Ostomy Community
End of Marriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

End of Marriage?

I am an attractive middle-aged woman. I have had the ileostomy for a year.  I am wondering if it is possible for a woman with an ileostomy to find love or marriage again?  Seems like this thing would be a barrier to a new serious relationship.  I know there are pretty intimate garmets to wear, but it is an unpleasant thing to have.
Any experiences to share?
Donna107222
How sad. My heart dropped a little when I read your questions. I have no real answers to tell you, I just want you to remember what a precious person you are and if you are in a relationship with a mate who truly loves you, any obstacle can be overcome. After 32 years of marriage, my health went downhill unbelievably fast. Unexpected diseases that had debilitating effects on my life. My husband has stood by me through all of the surgeries, dr. appointments, medications. Tomorrow is my 33rd anniversary and he is right there by my side, where he has always been. You go out there and find your true love and not a thing will come between you two. Wishing you all of the luck and good wishes. Trixie
Donna107222
I have a good friend who has an ileo since he has been about 25.and he is 55 now. He met the love of his life on an internet ileo support group.
His fiancé has an ileo to, they will be getting married soon.
Trixie,

Thank you for your very kind remark!
Thank you Paulalex! I guess I need to stay positive. Your comment really helped
You are quite welcome and I wish you the best.
Hi DonnaYes there is life and relationship after having an ileostomy. I am an ET nurse and have just written an article about a talk I gave in Toronto Canada in August of this year. It would be good for you to read it as I talk a lot about Sexuality and Intimacy with an Ostomy. There is no perfect time to tell anyone new in your life that you have an ostomy but when you meet that right person acceptance will happen. The surgery you had saved your life and becasue of that you are here. Sometimes it is educating the other person about an ostomy but sometimes it is just letting them know that the only thing different is the way you go tot he bathroom. You are a wonderful person. Keep positive and let this be a new bum in a different place. This surgery has not changed you as a person only how you function. All the best. Joy  
Thank you for your informative reply. I will read your article. God Bless You.

Donna