Ostomy Community
Having difficulty having a bowel movement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

I had a total colectomy with rectal anastomosis at the end of October. For the first few weeks I went to the bathroom constantly, whether I ate or not.  I went back to work a month later and I have been having troubles.  I do not eat during the day because I am a traveling Health professional and drive up to 100 miles per day.  I typically eat at night and still after all of this time can only get in small amounts of food.  I am not running to the bathroom within 30 mins after I had been but instead have only a small bowel movement the next day if even then.  I am not sure what is going on.  My surgeon told me that if things stopped I would have to go back to the hospital immediately.  I am having to take laxatives again and do not want to start that again.  My colon was dead and I was told that removing it would make all of the difference in the world.  Before my surgery I went about 3 - 5 weeks without a bm and taking every bowel prescription known to man as well as over the counter laxatives.  I am very worried.  Not sure what is going on. I read an article yesterday that spoke of a study done on having the procedure with the lasting benefits being unsuccessful.  I also read on this site somewhere of others facing the same issues.  Any advice or encouragement?  Thanks.