Help for treatment of ileostomy skin irritation
I am almost 3 weeks post surgery (had total colom removal resulting from Ulcerative Colitis) and have an ileostomy. There is an area on one side of the stoma that was exposed to the output and now is a deep weepy wound. I saw my ET nurse and she gave me convex puches to use (my stoma sits lower than my skin) whice is helping with preventing future damage of the area, but I can't seem to get it to heal. I've been using the powder and protective wipes over the hurt area but it doesn't seem to be healing (at least not fast).

DO skin barriers/pastes/etc. help? Does anyone know about other products that may help protect and heal the spot? I've been using paste to help seal but do the barriers work better? I'm getting panicky!
You are about where I was 3 yrs ago.  After about 3 wks into recovery from ileostomy, I suddenly started having trouble with leakage.  After swelling went down, my surgical area changed due to weight loss, activity level.  I had to try lots of different appliances before I found one that worked.  It was a very frustrating time.  Unfortunately, I failed to keep record of results of each appliance I used, so I had to keep a diary of results from each I tried.  Finally, everything calmed down.  The Convatec Nurse was very helpful and suggested I might not be using the stoma powder and Cavilon Skin Protectant.  She told me I need to spray the area, dust (like cake pan) & repeat 3 times.  Also I use Eakin seals under the wafer around the stoma.  I have used paste, but really found it messier than using pieces of the seal to cover the wound.  I so hope your condition improves soon, don't lose hope.  Our bodies don't seem to heal as quickly as we would like.  God bless you in your recovery.
can someone please give me precise directions on how to care for my senior brothers colostomy