Ostomy Community
Ileo reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ileo reversal

Hey, I have an Ile...had it for a year..getting a reversal(take down) the first week of  December. Can't wait to have this done..Has anyone had this done and ho are you now?
I had my takedown surgery in January 2005.  Like you I could hardly wait.  It was pretty routine, a little more painful than I expected but I healed nicely.  For the first week or so I could not get more than a few steps from a toilet.  Don't be alarmed - for a little while you will have only a couple of seconds warning of an oncoming bowel movement, but that sorts itself out in a very short time.  Well worth it to get rid of the bag!  I always sleep face down and with the bag I couldn't - it was GREAT to get a good night's sleep again.  Its a bit inconvenient for a little while but you are going to love it.  Good luck.

jd
I'm sorry my question was for you can you help me out with this?
I was 15 when my ileal ostomy was reversed, I had it for 3 months, (correction- my mother told me on the phone it was 2 months).  TIP:  You may have to work on exercising your sphincter muscle several times a day for a while.  I'm sure you know this, your doc has prob. told you.
It has been 30 years now, due to my sphincter muscle in the rectum having only 30% of it's strength left it seems like it is starting to fail, I have frequent accidents some without notice.  But hey, like I said it's been 30 years since my surgeries were done. There have been lots of good days and probably more good than bad when I look back.  I don't regret having my ostomy reversed, I was given a chance to not feel disfigured when I was in high school and my 20's and 30's.  I hope all goes well for you and that you get through the adjustments of the change in a hurry.
~Good Luck and Take Care~