Ostomy Community
Ileostomy reversal-is it worth it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ileostomy reversal-is it worth it?

I am  25 yr old female who suffered severe ulcerative colitis which was very aggressive. I tried everything in order to prevent getting "a bag" but unfortunately all of my attempts were unsuccessful. At my worst I weighed 36 kgs and was taking 50+ tablets per day and had next to no quality of life. It was 2 days before my 14th birthday when i had my large intestine removed and got an Ileostomy. I have had this for 11 years now, and whilst I am incredibly grateful for having had this surgery as I got a new lease on life, i can't help but wonder what the odds are of me having this forever, forever is a loonggg time!
My family always swayed me into the opinion that i should keep the ileostomy as its not worth going through the hardship again, especially when I have been so healthy since the surgery 11 yrs ago.

My main conerns are;
-Will my bowel movements always be loose?
-Will I experience incontinence? (this is a deciding factor for me as i want to take steps forward not backwards)
-Could any of this messing around in there affect my ability to have a family?
and
-how long i could be out of action for? as in before i could return to work and continue my life.

If anyone out there has experienced a similar situation please let me know how you went and whether having a reversal was worth it for you?
I am keen to go see my surgeon, and am not interested in making any rash decisions, I just want to be as  informed as possible so I can make the best choices for me.

Thanks all