Ostomy Community
Ileostomy reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ileostomy reversal

I'm 45yo and had a total colectomy due to stage 2 colon cancer, i have genetic HNPCC, My rectum is intact and i have had an ileostomy for the last 11 months, i am booked in to have my ileostomy reversed with a J pouch in about 2 months time. ... [More]
I'm nervous about the surgery as the first operation i had there was leakage at the join and i spent 2 months in hospital with many many complications, Things are good at the moment and im managing with my stoma nicely, How much better off will i be with a J Pouch?????
many do well with the reversal....u can expect frequent loose stools....and i is normal...some people's bowel adjusts well...and the frequency gets more like 3-4 times a day..but for some it can remain at close to ten bowel movements a day,,,there r lots of ways to deal with it and i have never seen anyone opt to go back and have the bag again..if that tells u anything.....and this surgery will not be as severe as ur other cos at this point u r in better health//much stronger...good luck