Ostomy Community
Ileostomy reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ileostomy reversal

My mom just had a ileostomy reversal last Wednesday.  The reason for the ileostomy was a dead bowel but the surgeon said there was enough left for him to reattach when she was strong enough.  She is 83 with a few health issues--pacemaker, moderate blockage of a couple of arteries in her heart, this and that.  She did have a UTI right before her surgery and they found a little cyst on her pancreas--not low enough for the surgeon to do a biopsy but after the reversal surgery, surgeon said he felt pancreas and he felt it was fine and doctor said get through this recovery first and watch the cyst.  He felt it was benign but of course would not guarantee 100%.  Recovery going a little slow and when the first 3 bowel movements came out bloody my mom was convinced it was cancer despite reassurance.  She also has not been hungry and she thinks she is losing hair (beautician told her before anasthetic can do that) which she feels are also signs.  I'm afraid her attitude is going to be a self fulfilling prophecy and not what she needs for recovery--she thinks we are all holding something back from her.  Are these symptoms normal--particularly bloody stools and no appetite?  Also, while all the doctors said she could eat anything she wanted after the ileostomy, we learned there were foods (like nuts and corn, etc.) that could cause obstructions or blockages of the stoma.  Now they're saying she will be able to eat anything again--is this true, or are we going to learn down the road there are foods she needs to avoid?  Thanks for any feedback.  
most have stomach issues after a reversal..it is a major surgery...and if she lost a large part of her colon it can make her stools loose...i dont think blood in the stool is normal that i have heard of and i would get that checked...i dont see patients after their reversal so i dont know as much about the recovery period..blood in her stool would be something to tell her doctor tho for sure