Ostomy Community
I'm scared
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I'm scared

I have posted here before, but this is really serious.  I'm 27 and had an almost deadly battle with ulcerative colitis last year which resulted in emergency subtotal colectomy and now I have an ileostomy.  I'm sort of okay with it.  Being 27, I kind of feel like I've skipped past my "prime" in young adulthood.  Nevertheless, I've adapted.  I don't have any children, but it's something that I want more than anything in this entire world.  I would be willing to adopt if I ever have to, but I don't want to.  I want to give birth to my own children and conceive naturally, but that may not be a possibility.  I still have my rectal stump and it is inflamed and needs to come out sooner than later.  I would also like to have the j-pouch surgery so I can go back to wearing form-fitting clothes, rather than just empire waist shirts to hide it (and I don't care what anyone says, I cannot hide my ostomy, esp. when I have gas).  Anyway, I've been told by at least three doctors that I should have a few kids before I have the surgery because when I have the surgery, not only will they mangle my fallopian tubes, but also the scar tissue will probably prevent me from being able to conceive naturally or even at all.  Bummer.  I'm depressed because of that.  My husband and I tried for 8 months to have a child, but to no avail.  I am depressed, not just because of the ostomy, but because I have not conceived and almost everyone I know has children.  I see mommies with their kids and I get so sad because I don't have my own.  Well, since I have been depressed and I still have this inflammation, my husband wants me to get the j-pouch and rectal surgery as soon as possible.  I don't want to because I want to have kids first.  He understands that, but he feels that because the inflammation is bothering me so much, it will eventually turn cancerous and he said he'd rather me be here to help him raise our kids or have no kids at all than have me die from cancer.  I almost died once, and that was very hard for him to handle.  I just don't know what to do.  It seems hard enough that the quality of my life has decreased because of my ostomy, but to have the surgery and be able to do all of the things I used to do, but not be able to have children, is a double edged sword.  My husband said, "Do it for me," and that's so hard to hear from him.  He doesn't ask for much and I don't want to let him down, but I don't want to mess up my body to the point where my uterus remains empty.  I think I'll probably be more depressed after the surgery than I am now.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  I'll take anything.  I just need some feedback.  Thank you.