Ostomy Community
Leaking flange

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Leaking flange

After 30 years with an ISP ostomy I have had about 3 leaks. Last week in the night when I was at a friend,s house sleeping I had a full blowout.Now I have lost all my confidence when travelling. I use Convatec   Sure Fit Natura and have changed to this about 2 years ago. Now I am wondering if I should go back to a hollister model and which is the most popular brand with the best wearing time. Very curious about which brand make most ileostomates  use.
Bocking
Hi I am an ET nurse.  It may not be you but the flange glue itself. Sometimes and not often you can get a bad batch. Were all of your leaks from the same box of flanges. Is the lot number the same? If so you might want to cantact the company and they may  replace your product but will need the lot number.
If it was 2 or more different boxes with different lot numbers then that is not likely the cause of the leaks.
Is your skin red raw and moist? That will break your seal.
Are you using adhesive remover, if so stop using it for a while as it may be removeing the adhesive from the back of the flange when you apply it. This is a good product however if it is not completely rinsed off your skin before application of the flange it will remove the adhesive therefore causing leaks.
Both companies are good but I do have a lot of people who use Hollister because of the flexibility of the flange and the floating ring to apply the pouch on and off if you prefer to do that Hope this helps Joy

Thank you Joy! My skin did feel a little irritated on the side where the leak occurred so maybe that was the reason.
Bocking