Ostomy Community
Long Plane Flights
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long Plane Flights

My Hubby is paraplegic and has a colostomy bag. How do we cope with long plane flights (over 4 hours) if bag needs changing. He cannot self transfer into plane aisle seat so therefore can't access the toilet. We were wanting to fly overseas but don't know how to manage this problem. Any ideas please?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1096512_tn?1384893378
As your husband being a paraplegic individual,it would be a really bothering for him,unless there is some one who could really take care of.Your husband has a colostomy bag,which needs to be changed frequently.If you are planning for a long distance flights (over 4 hrs),its not a very big problem to deal with this.The colostomy bags needs to be changed frequently 3-4 times a day depending on many issues like contents filled with blood,pus,waste products(stools and their density),and time of surgery done.It is recommended to empty the bag when its almost 1/3 rd full with contents.There are two types of bags like the one sealed-close ended pack,which is disposable very neatly.The other one is open ended-the one that can be drained often when it is filled.Depending on the surgical site and time-stoma covers and caps-for descending or sigmoid colostomies ,Pre-cut stoma adhesive packs for early post surgical care before 8 weeks,can be used.If your husband had undergone such surgeries,it is recommended to use one piece/two piece close ended packs which can be disposed very easily and little care taken during changing of pack.Such bags need little care to be taken during change where other bags need sterilization and skin preparation and lot more. Large volume packs up to 2 liters are available which is reliable.It is advised to empty the bag before you start after the nature calls,shortly after meal in the morning.Carry three additional bags in case of emergency.Avoid foods that may cause abdominal bloating and flatulence.Carry tablet deodorizers(on check in with special recommendation) to prevent others from annoying situations.Plan your journey that covers the resting time of the bowel urgency like after breakfast to before lunch or after lunch to before supper or dinner.Feeding him frequently may lead to emergency change of bag.So plan well for it.
This is however planning in general.If you get me more details about the reason for surgery,time of surgery and present condition of the patient,I can individualize his condition to give you the exact plan about the care during travel.Most of the airports have a clinic that deals with colostomy bags available that deal during emergencies.Nurses called Colostomy Nurses are also available who will guard you during the trip.Talk to your Doctor about these issues and let us know about it,so that we could advice properly.
Blank
Thanks for your reply. Hubby has had bag for 2 years now so are aware of different bags available, importance of diet etc, Just need to know how to go about changing bag on long plane flight when you can't access a toilet.
Blank

i would recomand if possible to eat lite befor flight.doese he have an colostomy or iliostomy?  how often does he normally have to drain bag?  doese he use drainable bags,or close end? need this info,befor i can try to advise. also if he has a stoma nurse might want to check with them for advice.
bellypooper
Blank
He uses disposable bags. I have spoken to his colostomy nurse and she is going to send us a sample on another product which has a bigger bag. She also suggested using suppositories beforehand so we have a couple of options to consider.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ostomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...