Ostomy Community
Mucous in ileal conduit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Mucous in ileal conduit

I have been having Large mucous plugs coming from my ileal conduit.  They cause me alot of pain and pressure into the kidney as I pass them. Some are as large as a 50cent peice.  I will get an infection after the pluggs past.  I had my ileal conduit done in 1969 and then had it redone in 2001.  The pain is very hard and I have landed up in the ER.  once the pluggs pass the pain stops.  My urine will become brown when this occurs.  Has anyone else had this problem?  How do I prevent the mucous from developing?  Does anyone know of a doctor that specializes in ileal conduits?  Thank you   1969Urostomy
how much water r u drinking?  water thins the mucus...the conduit is made of bowel and it will continue to produce mucus as it was originally doing in the intestinal tract...water intake thins this mucus..8-10 glasses a day if not contrindicated by ur physician
Thank you for the comment.  i do drink 1-2 liters of water daily.  Most of the time I have the normal thin mucous shreds but then can have quarter size plugs and very brown urine 2-3 hours later.  I cath the loop daily to try to keep it open and flowing.  I had a loop-a-scope and the loop itself is fine.  I just can not figure out how to prevent the plugs.  I did not have this problem with my first loop in 1969  
as previous respondent said, mucous is expected as it is produced by the lining. Mine gets very thick and mucousy in summer in particular. sometimes the mucous can block the ureters casuing extreme, the screaming kind, pain. when this happens i will go hours with very poor drainage, hence back up pressure.   Cranberry and lots of water!!! am more concerned about the urine being brown??? mine is brown but i have CKD, caused no doubt form an ileal conduit and reflux from it.  Have you had an egfr done to check kidney function? if not, given your structural system, i suggest you do. CKD produces brown and often frothy urine, I cokpare it to a head of beer
water does help but always check with your doctor to be sure there is no infection as ileal conduits are prone to this especially if you are I&O cathing daily.  Everytime a person catheterizes they introduce bacteria even if extremely careful not to do so.  Check your technique when you cath to be sure it is a clean technique.  It is best to use a sterile cath each time but we all know that many insurance companies will not cover that many catheters.  Are you cathing daily to relieve obstruction or to empty?  I only ask as there are different types of conduits and most do not require cathing but some do.
The extra mucus could be from the reconstruction if the used a different part of the intestine to construct the resevoir.  Different portions of the intestine produce more mucus than others and that is what the resevoirs are usually constructed from.  For a person without a conduit, the mucus helps propel stool through the GI tract, for one with a conduit, it is a nuisance!  I have heard of drugs that thin mucus, ie mucinex thins mucus in the respiratory tract but lots of water with it makes it work better.  Have you spoken with your doctor about the frequency of I&O cathing and any medications that may work?  It sounds like you are drinking plenty of water and have ruled out an infection?
Im not really sure why you are catheterising an ileal conduit? ie it permanently drains and is not designed to cath? is there some  reason for doing so?  I only ask as mine used to be too long and I did get a little stagnant urine, an ileal conduit is meant to be empty at all times and so shouldnt need to cath?