Ostomy Community
New hear with a couple of Questions!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

New hear with a couple of Questions!!!

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum but so glad I found a place where I can come and get information and ask questions... I got my urostomy in January of 2011 due to severe bladder leakage.... Complications from MS... I also am diagnosed with RSD... I really thought I was going to die... It took them 4 days after the surgery to get my pain under control... I guess this was do to my RSD... My doctor ended up calling in a pain management team in to try and get me comfortable...

Once I healed, which by the way took forever because of the MS and not able to be very active, I have done really good with it... Right at the beginning I had a horrible time getting it to stick to my skin but after trying several different methods I finally have that pretty much under control... Once in a while I still get a little skin irritation but I can usually get it healed up quickly...

I do have a couple of questions for ya'll... How often do you change your appliance?  Do you wait til it starts leaking or do you have set days?  Also, I have noticed when I go to empty my bag the odor of my urine is horrible... My daughter has also commented on it...It actually smells like a bowel movement almost... It has gagged me on more than one occasion... lol  Is this normal?  I always have large clumps of fleshy like stuff in it... I'm always having to work it out because of it plugging up the outlet...Is that normal too?  Okay, maybe I had more than a couple of questions, but you get the drift... lol...

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and please feel free to respond on any or all of it...  By the way I'm a 46 year old female and I live in Oklahoma...

Thank you,
Carol
It is not normal for a urostomy bag to smell like stool.  I would tell my doctor about it so he can do some tests to be sure all is well.  It is normal in most cases to have mucus in your urine from a urostomy as often parts of the intestinal tract is used to form the resevoir and the intestines produce mucus to help propel the stool through the intestinal tract.
Foods and beverages that cause odor in urine can be googled but fish, broccoli, coffee are all foods that can cause a strong odor to urine.  Drinking lots of water, if okay with your doctor, also keeps you well hydrated and your urine light in color.  Urine dark in color can be associated with a urinary tract infection as well.  Get it checked and good luck to you