Ostomy Community
Ostomy leakage causing yeast infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Ostomy leakage causing yeast infection

My 93 year old mother has a sever yeast infection covering 1/3 of her abdomen resulting from her stoma.  Her colostomy bags have been leaking and spreading the infection.  She now has care 24 hours and is confined to her bed to try to heal the area.  She is lying on her opposite side to keep fluid from leaking out.  They are using a powder to treat the yeast.  Does anyone have any other ideas?
Hello!  I have had an ileostomy bag for about 4 months now, and at around the end of the 1st month I had the same problem your mother is experiencing.  My ostomy nurse and I tried just about everything from powders to pastes to clear it up and nothing helped, actually felt like it was making it worse.  When I went for a check up to see my surgeon he suggested taking off the bag and covering the stoma with gauze to prevent letting it flow everywhere and put maalox on the infected area and let it air out for about 45 minutes.  I did that and afterwards put a thin layer of A & D ointment on it and within 2 days my stomach was almost completely healed.  I also started using "stomahesive" which is a paste that goes on the wafer around the stoma for extra protection from leakage. I hope this helps!!  I know just how horrible and miserable it can be with irritated skin!

- Danielle