Ostomy Community
Post Ileostomy Reversal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Post Ileostomy Reversal

I had my ileostomy reversed in February 2007.  The initial months post surgery I experienced incontinence, frequency, leakage and consequently very badly irritated skin. Due to rectal cancer and severe diverticuar disease of the sigmoid colon, I have no rectum or sigmoid colon and have had part of my ileum removed at the ileostomy site due to it herniating. Unfortunately because my sigmoid colon and rectum were removed in separate operations I couldn't get a J-pouch so my colon is directly attached to my sphincter muscle.  Because things hadn't improved significantly in October 2007 my doctor referred me for sacral nerve stimulation. I was still incontinent at times, was going to the toilet many times during the day, had to very carefully watch what I ate and wouldn't leave the house unless I had to so couldn't work either.  I had nerve damage to my sphincter muscle which was an indicator for successful sacral nerve stimulation so I went ahead with it in February 2008.  It is now 12 months since the insertion of the sacral nerve stimulator and 2 years since my ileostomy was reversed.  The stimulator has helped in that it has given me more sensation to know when I have to go to the toilet and I have more time to get there, resulting in less accidents.  I have been able to go back to work (only because it is a 5 minute drive from home and the toilet is right outside my office) but still have to watch what I eat.  I am still incontinent at times but not as often and still have to go to the toilet many times - no rectum means no storage area.  And I still don't leave the house unless I have to.
Has anyone else had this type of procedure?  Does it get any better or is this it?  Would love to hear from anyone a couple of years post ileostomy reversal to see how they're going.
WMCG    
k..ui r trying to firm up the stool u already have..the RICE diet can help.google it but t is a thickening diet for the stool..bananeas thickens stool and so does cheese..imodium (immodium) can help ut u need the liquid type so it has dissoled and doe its work cos some ileostomied will shoot pills into the pouch undigested..keep posting
I am 4 years post ileostomy takedown surgery (rectal cancer) and I can assure you it gets better.  It took a while, probably 2 full years before I had good control (mostly) and things are not perfect but I have adjusted to the new "normal."  Give it time.  I hope things improve for you soon.

jd