Ostomy Community
Post ileostomy reversal symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Post ileostomy reversal symptoms

My mom had her ileostomy reversed in Sept. of 2009.  Since then she has suffered with chronic diarrhea.  Has anyone ever had or heard of this happening after their reversal?  Any suggestions?

I have just joined this website because I had an ileostomy last september, which was reversed in january this year.

Most people have diarrhea after reversal due to part of the colon being removed.  The Colon is where the fluid is absorbed out of the faeces before it reaches the rectum. I have only just got mine under control...but sadly I/we will never be the same as we were before the surgery.Some people suffer more than others.  I am now using codiene and a drug called mebeverine which stops the the bowel going into spasm.  I was going to the loo up to 15 times a day at first and I am down to 1-3 times a day.  Diet is also very important.  Try not to eat to much ruffage.  Eat small amounts of of veg and plenty of thickners such bananas, peanut butter, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, stewed apple etc. These foods have helped me alot. Try not to eat spicy food...if I do I always take an imodium (immodium) capsule half an hour before.

I hope your Mum finds the info of use and please wish her well for me as I know exactly how she feels.

Kindest regards

NixieY
Thank you so much for your response to my question regarding my mom's post-ileostomy condition.  Your post was excellent and she is very thankful that you took the time to let us know how you are doing after your reversal.  Just knowing that she isn't alone helps her very much.  I will mention to her doctor the medication you noted, and hope he will prescribe the same for her.  

Again, thank you so much.  

Sincerely,

Linkylaw

PS -- If you know, does coffee have any effect in this regard?
Hello again :o)

I find that filter coffee can (on a bad day) have an adverse affect so I tend to stick to instant coffee.... but I do tend to drink more tea than coffee these days.

I used find ,before my GP prescribed Mebeverine tablets, that I got terrible stomach cramps whilst going to the loo so frequently so they really have been a 'Godsend' to me.

If your Mother would like to email me my email address is:  andree_yarrow***@****
I feel so alone with all of this..its awful.  My children are grow up too but I think the whole thing just frightened them and they pretend it hasnt happened.  Your Mum is very lucky to have such a brave lovely daughter like you.

Andrée xx
If you have the runs, don't eat much fiber because that makes you go. My husband had an Ileostomy and then the reversal. He made a website to help others by telling of his experience from the surgeries to the recovery, going to the bathroom, and the whole 9 yards. She may want to take a look at it as well. It is at www.freewebs.com/ileostomyreversalsurgery
Hi there,
Don't know if you are still reading this forum or not as it has been over 3 years since your conversation. My dad had his ileostomy reversal Sept 2012 and is still suffering so much even now with diarreah (diarrhea) and fissures, etc.
I just wondered how you are doing now and are you used to your "new normal"?
Thanks so much,
Jacquie