Ostomy Community
Stoma is too low for paste and I can't get a good seal on that sid...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Stoma is too low for paste and I can't get a good seal on that side

Hi. 2 weeks ago I had a total colectomy with an end ileostomy and I've mostly been fine. However, it seems that one side of my stoma is lower than the other and so that side ends up being too low to get a good seal with the paste. This is harder to describe in words than I realized it would be. Too bad it would be really nasty and inappropriate to post a photo. Basically, the glue line and wafer end up lifting away from the skin just slightly so they end up being just above the stoma on the low side and just fine on the high side. output gets underneath the wafer and starts to itch. This is going to cause some problems for me down the road, I am sure. Any advice for how to deal with this? I hear that some people have stomas that are completely flush with the skin surface, so how do you get a good seal for those?

I talked with an ostomy nurse who said you can actually take a little bit of paste on a q-tip and use it to fill in the gap. If anybody else has any other ideas, let me know.

Gina