Ostomy Community
Tape burns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

Tape burns

My 50 yr old sister has had a recent ileostomy with hernia repair and removal of an infected Morphine pump. She has 2 large open wounds on both sides of her abdomen with her stoma in the middle. I am helping to care for her- this is very overwhelming for her and she is very depressed. I was so happy to find this site today! One big problem she is having is tape burn under her occlusive wound vac dressings. Does anyone know what is best to put on these burns? Also at night her ostomy bag comes off- even though it is emptied frequently. She is at a rehab center so I have limited control over her night activities but I feel there is no excuse for her bag to come off every night!! Thank you for any help you can give my sister and myself.                                                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                                                                      Patty
I have an ileostomy and had to go through surgery to remove some puss both sides of the ileostomy. I have encountered  the same problem until the wounds are healed. I try my best to get the wounds heal fast so that i do not need to change bags every 1 or 2 days.
Hi, i have a temporary ileostomy and hernia underneath and occasionally have trouble getting the bag to stick, my stoma nurse gave me some sticky reinforced pad things that stick around the outside of the bag, reinforcing the seal, sounds like these may help with the night time problem. When i do change my bag, i have to spend a good 5 minutes, rubbing around the seals to make sure there is no gaps, but these added pads definately help and are a good thing if you are going somewhere and dont fancy having the embarasement of a leaking bag. hope this helps
mandy x