Ostomy Community
blood from stoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ostomy, colostomy, diet and nutrition, gastrostomy ileostomy, jejunostomy, ostomy reversal, sex and relationships, stoma, urostomy, and wound care.

blood from stoma

I HAVE BEEN HAVING APROBLEM WITH BLOOD FROM MY STOMA IT HAS HAPPENED 3 TIMES NOW ABOUT ONCE A MONTH, AND ITS QUITE A BIT WITH CLOTS EVEN, I KNOW ITS NOT FROM ANY ABRASSIONS. I HAVE HAD NO OTHER PROBLEMS AT THESE TIMES SUCH AS FEVERS OR UPSET STOMACH OR PAIN IN STOMACH, IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM???
Hi Sam: I am an ET nurse It is normal to have bleeding from the stoma as it has a large blood supply. However have you noticed any little bumps forming on  the stoma. These are called granulomas and can bleed easily and a lot. Is the blood coming from inside the stoma or on top of the stoma? What kind of ostomy do you have?  You may require a scope to see where the bleeding is coming from. Sometimes these little granulomas are inside the stoma and as the stool passes through it irritates them and causes bleeding. The granulomas on the stoma can be cauterized with Silver Nitrate and they will dry up and go away. The internal granulomas need to be cauterized by a scope and the Dr. Are you on a blood thinner as that will cause more bleeding. Hope this helps. Joy
Have an Ostomy question?
100,000+ doctor answers