blood from stoma
I HAVE BEEN HAVING APROBLEM WITH BLOOD FROM MY STOMA IT HAS HAPPENED 3 TIMES NOW ABOUT ONCE A MONTH, AND ITS QUITE A BIT WITH CLOTS EVEN, I KNOW ITS NOT FROM ANY ABRASSIONS. I HAVE HAD NO OTHER PROBLEMS AT THESE TIMES SUCH AS FEVERS OR UPSET STOMACH OR PAIN IN STOMACH, IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM???
Hi Sam: I am an ET nurse It is normal to have bleeding from the stoma as it has a large blood supply. However have you noticed any little bumps forming on  the stoma. These are called granulomas and can bleed easily and a lot. Is the blood coming from inside the stoma or on top of the stoma? What kind of ostomy do you have?  You may require a scope to see where the bleeding is coming from. Sometimes these little granulomas are inside the stoma and as the stool passes through it irritates them and causes bleeding. The granulomas on the stoma can be cauterized with Silver Nitrate and they will dry up and go away. The internal granulomas need to be cauterized by a scope and the Dr. Are you on a blood thinner as that will cause more bleeding. Hope this helps. Joy
ET1980 do these granulomas look like canker sores? Because that is what my son has on his stoma, and they bleed.
Hi -Just came across this letter.I have had a stoma for 10yrs..In 2012/3 I had my granulomas from arounf the outside removed following a scan for cancer in the stoma which was all clear. However, lately I have noticed blood clot like stuff come out into the bag.. I Have seen the Stoma nurse who said it looked okay and was looking good.. Any suggestions as to the cause? .. seemed to be more regular when I was working as a groundsman for our lads football..or is it something I eat that would scratched the insides of stoma? cheers R
You can respond to Rablad.
Unfortunately I don't think we have anymore ET nurses who post on here.
Like the ET nurse said, the tissue can become very sensitive and it's hard to say exactly where it is coming from and why it is happening. What kind of stoma do you have? Do you have crohn's or colitis? Maybe IBS? Has your output been different at all? Finding where the blood is coming from is the first step and that does require a doctors hand as you may need a scope.

Good luck